Oil change time - what's recommended

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #31  
Come to think of it, I don't see a John Deere factory around me either :laughing:

Yeah, in most cases it's a general additive package. But, sometimes you don't really know because the manufacturer may have put some funky component in the engine that requires something special (usually to protect it). Any more, however, most will also show an industry spec in addition to their branded offering. CJ-4, which is what most have been running, is being superseded.

BobIsTheOilGuy.com
is an excellent site to read/learn about engine oils.

If the manufacturer puts in something extra special in the oil and you can only use their oil, they will, in most cases, have to provide you that oil.

Magnuson Moss warranty act

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #32  
Even if it is snake oil? :D

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #34  
My 20 year old jd 870 i use 15w40 shell rotella conventional,my 2013 mf 1529 i use 10w30 shell rotella conventional.

For many years I have used ( and still use) RotellaT 15W-40 conventional, in my tractors (both gas & diesel), and my gas cars as well.

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #35  
Since you're going to the store.....

You'll need an oil filter, oil, hydraulic fluid, hydraulic filter, a couple fuel filters, grease, brake parts cleaner, anti-seize, a tire gage , and a good grease gun.

It's a good idea to get some fuel conditioner and that Diesel 9-1-1.

The oil change should go pretty easy.

When it's time, the hydro filter gets changed and the screen gets cleaned with the brake parts cleaner. My screen hides behind the left rear tire.

It's always good to have hydro fluid and oil on hand to make up lost fluids.

Fall is a good time to pull the tires, clean and anti-seize the lugs, properly torque the lugs and make sure the tire pressure is correct.

Conditioning the fuel is important in your region. My TSC sells a couple conditioners in addition to the 9-1-1 for gummed up diesel. If your diesel gels, you will probably need to change fuel filters.

Greasing is a big part of keeping it good.

Oddly, manuals for tractors are more important than manuals for most other things. Keep it in a safe place.

Dan

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #36  
For many years I have used ( and still use) RotellaT 15W-40 conventional, in my tractors (both gas & diesel), and my gas cars as well.

I have used Rotella T 15-40 as long as I remember at lease since 93 when I got my first turbo diesel truck. I still do and have had many diesel tractors including turbos that I use Rotella T 15-40. I never had a problem with them and change oil once a year if I remember it. I lived in chilly Wisconsin most of the time and never had trouble starting them although the tractors were in a pole shed and if it got 20 below I would plug the big tractor in. Yanmar engines in the tractors.

I really don't get the fascination with synthetic oil especially considering the price difference and it gets changed once a year anyway, or in the trucks at 5k miles.

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #37  
<snip>

Oddly, manuals for tractors are more important than manuals for most other things. Keep it in a safe place.

Dan
And if you don't have a softcopy, scan it in.

It makes it really easy to refer to. Especially if you have a smart phone.

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #38  
When switching to synthetics on every diesel I have had I notice it runs quieter. in some cases significantly.

/ Oil change time - what's recommended #39  
I have a "new" tractor - actually now 55 hrs old I guess. It is time for an oil change. What is recommended for oil in these things? I've never had a diesel anything, so school me on what to look for in types of oil (and filters too).

I will have to review the owner's manual, but I am repulsed by comic books in general and this seems to be one. I'm sure, however, there is useful info in there that I will need to extract (like oil weight and volume etc.), but I am curious what others consider good engine oil maintenance considerations.

FWIW, the tractor is a JD 3039R. Location Iowa (winters are only semi-cold if it matters).
what ever the service manual states.

/ Oil change time - what's recommended
In the FWIW department, the manual says every 200 hrs - which would be about every 3 yrs I suppose. I think I won't hurt much if I do it a little more often.