oil change time ???

/ oil change time ??? #11  
Is there any problem with using 5w-40 weight synthetic oil if the manual calls for 15w-40, or 10w-30. Is the 5W side of the oil too thin?

No problem at all. That is what I ran in my previous BX, B and now my Grand L 40. Mobile 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel oil. The 5w just means it flows much better when cold. I use my L3240 for winter snow removal and keep it in an unheated garage so every little bit helps.

/ oil change time ??? #13  
Cool. Thanks for the responses.

/ oil change time ??? #15  
Is there any problem with using 5w-40 weight synthetic oil if the manual calls for 15w-40, or 10w-30. Is the 5W side of the oil too thin?

i havn't found a problem yet...

/ oil change time ??? #16  
Dont get me wrong here, I uses Rotella in some things, but its the cheapest diesel rated oil you can buy. Its kind of the Fram Oil Filter of oil. I also use lots of Fram Oil Filters for that matter.

In my research I found out lots about oil. For the same money Mobil 1 makes a full synthetic Diesel rated oil that is twice as good. I get it at WalMart and Meijer.

Chris

Not that I doubt you, but can you expound some on what makes Mobile 1 better than T6. I dont really have oil preference other than I am not going to pay double to get some "Super Oil" per manufacturer's claim mainly because I dont run my tractors that hard and change the oil at recommended intervals. Maybe I would use super oil in my boat engine as I do run it max throttle much of the time.
PS. I also use Fram oil filters in my cars and never had an engine problem.
I have a more than 30 years of quality assurance background. Definition of quality= meeting the specifications. Exceeding the spec does nothing for you except cost you money. Regulations for grades of oil set the standards the oil must meet for each classification. Exceeding those specs does little for you if you change your oil as specified by the manufacturers. If however you want to run 10K miles on your vehicle when the manufacturer says change at 6000 or 7500, you may want to use the super oil.

/ oil change time ??? #17  
Not that I doubt you, but can you expound some on what makes Mobile 1 better than T6. I dont really have oil preference other than I am not going to pay double to get some "Super Oil" per manufacturer's claim mainly because I dont run my tractors that hard and change the oil at recommended intervals. Maybe I would use super oil in my boat engine as I do run it max throttle much of the time.
PS. I also use Fram oil filters in my cars and never had an engine problem.
I have a more than 30 years of quality assurance background. Definition of quality= meeting the specifications. Exceeding the spec does nothing for you except cost you money. Regulations for grades of oil set the standards the oil must meet for each classification. Exceeding those specs does little for you if you change your oil as specified by the manufacturers. If however you want to run 10K miles on your vehicle when the manufacturer says change at 6000 or 7500, you may want to use the super oil.

You know, its been a few years. I do know that M1 and Rotella are the same price per gallon. $21.99 each. Just picked up 6 today.

Chris

/ oil change time ??? #18  
I just may switch to Mobile 1 when I run out of T6 if the price is close. I bought a bunch of it on sale months ago but cant remember the price I paid. Still got about 4-5 gallons. I have some T5 for my truck an a lot of T6 for the tractors, JD lawnmower and Kubota RTV.
I am all for using top brand motor oil but dont put any stock in small company claims of being super oil and can run in a car for 100 miles after loosing all the oil. I think about any brand name oil will give acceptable results in normal operating conditions, its when we go above normal that causes the engine failures when oil breaks down under load and extreme heat. Keep an engine cool and not too heavily loaded and just about any oil will work

/ oil change time ??? #19  
yup.. on my old dodge truck that got 3000 m oil changes every couple months, and new fram, stp or supertech 2.50$ oil filter and 5$ air filter each time... plus walmart oil... I have a feeling that the oil was near as good going in as coming out... truck never leaked or used a drop.

the yukon probably don't even need a change.. ever. by the time it hits 3000m I've already added a few quarts out of 5 :(

I should just change the filter on it every 3 months and call it good and just keep the oil topped off...

:(

now the powerstroke that gets high rev for long runs pulling a trailer.. that one I'll squeeze the wallet for some valvoline ultre premium blue full syn 5w40 if only fo rthe heat / turbo issues.. and since the truck runs at such a high rpom to hit interstate speeds..e tc.

soundguy

/ oil change time ??? #20  
You guys are lucky... Up here M1 is twice the price of Rotella, no way I will ever pay that for an Exxon product!! It is not that much better then Rotella!!