Oil Color Change

/ Oil Color Change #1  

JimBinMI

Veteran Member
Tractor
2015 Kubota BX25D-1, New Holland TZ18DA
Hey All,

After the first oil change @ 50 hours, using petroleum based oil, about how long did it take the oil to change color back to dark? I've went about 8 hours since my change and zero color change! Looks like when I put it in. Any opinions appreciated...well most anyway! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JimBinMI

/ Oil Color Change #2  
Now Jim you went and hurt my feelings - I am sure you expected some snide comment about your little ,uh, "tractor" vs. my great powerful B1700. I am way too mature to stoop to such low levels, especially knowing all of the stress you must be under having to constantly deal with people laughing at your cute little swoopy fendered plastic lawn ornament. Now as far as the oil, back in my ignorant days when I used petroleum, I did see a colt change in as little as 5 hours. 30 hours now on the Amsoil, no color change.

/ Oil Color Change #3  
Another thought - with your hourmeter set up the way it is, maybe that 8 hours is more like 16 minutes real time. Lets see how the oil looks after a real test of, say, a good half hour /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Oil Color Change
Paul,

Be careful, as an uninformed Kubota owner, you don't really know how your hour meter works! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I'd be careful, you might have to eat your words just as you have had to in the past when coming up against the superiority of the Mean Lean BLUE Machine!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

/ Oil Color Change
Post deleted by JimBinMI

/ Oil Color Change #6  
JimB - just joshing I hope you know. If ever feelings really are hurt, it is unintentional.

/ Oil Color Change #7  
Re: Post deleted by JimBinMI

JimBinMI, did your dealer say any thing about using just NH oil in the engine as not to void the warranty on your Boomer? My dealer "suggested" that since the engine has a two year warranty, if any thing goes wrong the first question the factory will ask is what oil was used. Now I know NH oil is not superior in any way, but I hesitate to switch. How bout you?

/ Oil Color Change #8  
Re: Oil color change-JimBinMI

Bigfinn - we will have to wait to hear from JimB to see what his dealer says, but I asked this question on the old board when it came time for my first oil change, and I got a lot of responses from a lot of people who seemed to know what they were talking about, and they all said that if you match rating (CH or GJ or whatever) and viscosity, you can use any brand of oil you like and it will not affect warrantee. there is even a law for this, something like the Sullivan Act, or Soloman Act, or something like that.
Hope this helps
Paul "Kinder, Gentler" B

/ Oil Color Change #9  
Re: Oil color change-JimBinMI

Damn - computer wouldn't let me post under PaulB again, just Paul. I think I screwed up the login. This is just a test post.

/ Oil Color Change
Re: Dealer Suggestions

Bigfinn,

Just got off the phone with my New Holland dealer, had two guys there, a service guy and my salesman say that as long as I use the proper weight and proper ratings, the synthetic would be a "non issue" as far as warranty is concerned.

They both did recommend that the engine be properly broken in before I change to synthetic. Thought that 100-150 hours should do that job, but also mentioned that it depends on how hard I use it. If you don't use it hard, it will take longer to break in. One of the guys even mentioned that with today's better oils, it's taking longer to break in an engine than it used to! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck, JimBinMI