Oil Color Change

/ Oil Color Change #11  
Re: Dealer Suggestions

Jim and Paul,

Thanks for the info. I plan on switching to a synthetic when the engine gets broken in. I have another newbie question--Is it nesseccary to pre heat the cylinders (use the glow plugs) on an engine that was recently run and still warm? The manual states cold starting, but really doesn't define cold. Some of the work I did last weekend required me to shut off the tractor for ten to fifteen minutes, then start back up. I preheated the cylinders each time but with the temperature in the 80's and the engine still warm I don't know if it was nessecary. Do you have any general guidelines as when to pre heat? Thanks for all the help, as you can tell this is the first diesel engine I've owned./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Oil Color Change #12  

Nope, Bigfinn, you didn't (or don't) need to use the glow plugs to restart when the engine is already warm. And if anyone knows of any general guidelines, I'd be interested in them, too. Of course, some diesels (cars, pickups, and some tractors) have a glow plug indicator light and you wait for it to go off, which may be almost instantly for a warm engine, but for the rest of us, just experience with our particular engine, and it'll vary with the ambient temperature as to how long it takes the engine to cool down enough to need the glow plugs again. With temperature in the 80s, I'd guesstimate that my B2710 will restart without them for about 30-45 minutes. Of course, if I hit the starter and it doesn't just immediately start, then I use the glow plugs again.

Bird

/ Oil Color Change #13  

Hi ya's
ya right in that a warm motor will should need glow plugs the last 4 tractors i have driven/owned have not had glow plugs at all(JD 7700,CIH5130,CIH7210 deutz-fahr150)most had cold start spray in to the air intake (from what i'm told motors get hooked on the stuff) if ya motor needs glow plugs all the time look at ya rings something is worng inside ,with a new motor only cold days would ya need glow plugs or sitting around for a few days between jobs ,useing glow plugs (my way of thinking)would not do any thing to ya motor apart from making it eazyer to start .other people in the USA may give ya a better idea, the last time i drove a tractor with glow plugs was my grandfathers IH B250 10 years ago but in saying that the toyota we have now ('99 model) has glow plugs and during winter here we have to use them ,the best thing i can tell ya is if it will not start first hit DON'T keep cranking, glow it and try again
hope this help's
JD Kid