Oil & Fuel Oil darkening after 25 hours?

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #11  
True, but have you ever rebuilt a Diesel engine? The first time I did, I was amazed at how easily everything cleaned up. Pistons, valves, head, etc... all that black stuff practically wipes clean! As opposed to every gas engine I've ever rebuilt, where all the crud is baked on and you almost need a jackhammer to chip it off. :laughing:

Just another reason I love these little rattle traps. :)

I've rebuilt plenty of gas motors and you are right..Almost need an air chisel sometimes.

That diesel soot comes right off in the parts washer. The deepest I've ever been into a diesel was replacing the timing chain and water pump on a 6.2L '89 Suburbal diesel...What a mess. I was up to my neck in black goop. Parts cleaned up easily...Me, not so much:(

Did the same on an 80's Cadillac Fleetwood that a friend of mine owned...Hated even opening the hood on that. Checking the oil was a mess waiting to happen, let alone all of the other things I had to fix on it. Kinda like opening a tube of anti-sieze; no matter how hard you try, a mess is gonna happen.

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #12  
Parts cleaned up easily...Me, not so much:(
Yeah, I guess that is the tradeoff. I follow the same policy as when I work on a transmission, etc. that will have me covered in gear oil: Don't wear anything you're not going to want to burn later. :D

timswi said:
Did the same on an 80's Cadillac Fleetwood that a friend of mine owned...Hated even opening the hood on that. Checking the oil was a mess waiting to happen, let alone all of the other things I had to fix on it. Kinda like opening a tube of anti-sieze; no matter how hard you try, a mess is gonna happen.
:laughing: perfect analogy. Those things are complete turds.
Thanks, I'm going to randomly remember this later and have another chuckle over it. :thumbsup: