Oil fill cap

/ Oil fill cap #1  

theg

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
How do you remove the oil fill cap? I didt want to break something by prying or turning. I could not get it to move and read the great service book, no help. This is question I never thought I would have to ask. Lol. :ashamed:

/ Oil fill cap #3  
I have never seen one that didn't unscrew counter-clockwise. My oil fill, engine, trans. and front axle all need to be loosened up with a pliers for an eighth of a turn. Then they unscrew easily after breaking them loose.

When I put them back on I always tweak them a smidgen more with a pliers after hand tight.

/ Oil fill cap #4  
Either I am not as strong as I once was (granted) and / or oil caps have gotten harder to loosen. I have to use pliers to break the cap loose on my LS and my Kubota. The aluminum seems to seize slightly after running it.

Get your pliers or other appropriate tool and turn the cap counter-clockwise to break it loose then you can remove the rest of the way by hand.

/ Oil fill cap
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. I'll get picture if still unable to remove it.

/ Oil fill cap #6  
i purchased a set of pliers with rubber grips for those types of things so I don't damage any of the caps.

/ Oil fill cap #7  
I re-watched the video I took during my owner orientation and the service tech said that you have to pry it with a putty knife enough so that you can get a screwdriver under it in order to pry it the rest of the way. He also puts grease under them to make them easier to remove, but it is still a difficult task.

/ Oil fill cap #8  
I've never had to use pliers to remove the oil filler cap on my Kubota. And I'm no stronger than anybody else either. Now, the original oil filter on my tractor - that's a totally different matter. Likewise - I've never had either cap loosen by itself. My engine & hydraulic oil filler caps are the standard screw down type with the upright "vane" across the top.

Learn something new every day - Mahindra has a pry off oil filler cap. Unusual/different..............