Oil & Fuel Oil Filter Cross Reference, Advance Auto Drops Fram, and Mobile web sucks

/ Oil Filter Cross Reference, Advance Auto Drops Fram, and Mobile web sucks #1  

KWRB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 4610
I thought I'd share in case you all find it valuable, or in case you feel you have a valuable opinion to share on the issues -or issues.

So I own a JD 4610. I always buy JD original equipment parts for it and will only substitute when I am absolutely certain the substitute is a better product. That said, I used to put Fram Tough Gaurd filters on my tractor. I believed they were a premium. Last year, when I needed to replace hydraulic filters I dug a little deeper and found that for a little more money relative to the overall cost of my tractor, I could do better. I bought Wix hydraulic filters.

So I am ready to do my semiannual oil change and I went to get the Tough Gaurd filter, and Advance Auto here in NY didn't have it -or any other Frams. I was surprised. I've pretty much put Frams on everything since I was a teenager. I talk to the guy at the counter, and he says it was a business decision by Advance, on account of an unacceptable change in product quality. It's interesting. No big deal really. I just bought the K&N that crosses to the Deere number. I know now that K&N is (or is nearly) the best filter money can buy, and I change my oil crazy often anyway. It's just a little surprising.

Lastly, if you don't know about it, this site Oil filter cross referencewas valuable as a cross reference tool. Historically, I've gone to the manufacturers' sites individually to look up their cross reference sheets, but this is a nice one-stop shop, and not bogged down with annoying scripts and advertisements. it was really easy to use in the auto parts store on my phone. Most websites (including ones "for mobile") are cumbersome and annoying.

-aside rant: have you ever tried using cars.com on your phone? I've never wanted to spike an electronic device into the floor more in my life!

Anyway, don't forget your mothers today!

/ Oil Filter Cross Reference, Advance Auto Drops Fram, and Mobile web sucks #2  
There are so many comparisons of different brands of filters. One YouTube video was the best I have seen. It compared almost all the top brands by weight (overall) and weight of filter element, type of filter paper used, area etc. Fram ToughGuard was a pretty good filter if I recall. I don't have the site but do a search on Google should bring up lots of oil filter comparison sites.
By the way, the el cheapo Fram filter was not so good.

/ Oil Filter Cross Reference, Advance Auto Drops Fram, and Mobile web sucks #4  
I have only failed to cross reference one filter at NAPA for theirs or WIX which is the same. That was a late model Kawasaki air filter. They have all my Kubota filters. The counter guys there are the best. There is always the resident expert on duty. Shopping NAPA always use the counter guys and ask for the military or fleet discount. You will be surprised the discount from the posted price. 55 year NAPA customer here.

Ron

/ Oil Filter Cross Reference, Advance Auto Drops Fram, and Mobile web sucks #5  
I use Wix filters for everything. I've found that most of the time I can get the best price for them on Amazon, but sometimes Ebay has one for even less. My dozer has three massive hydraulic filters that cost around $120 each at the dealer and auto parts stores. Nobody has them in stock, but can get them there the next day. I can get them for $80 on Amazon.