Oil & Fuel Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation

/ Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #1  

Coyote_CS2220

Tractor
2023 Kioti CS2220, Yale GLP050TG, Husqavarna Z242F, John Deere L111, BMW F650Dakar, 2017 Desert Point Kennels GSP from Yuma AZ
I realize I might be opening a can of worms here, but I am curious by nature.

I notice that different oil filter makers list filters for engines and......
1) they will be made from different filter material (assumed)
2) will have slightly different shapes
3) will have a central hole the correct/same diameter and thread
4) will have a seal ring of the correct/same diameter with flat or o-ring seals
5) will have different number of outer holes and diameters

It is #5 that I am curious about.

A Kioti filter has 8holes X 7mm =38.5mm2 area
A Wix 51334 has 6holes X 6.5mm =33.2mm2 area
A Fram PH3593A has 12holes X 4mm = 12.5mm2 area

Do the different total area of the outer holes have an impact?

I realize that oil flow in an engine will be affected by RPM and oil viscosity/temperature and the material used inside the oil filter itself..............but if the total area of the outside holes is different then does the filter material compensate to equalize flow.......and if so wouldn't filtration have to be sacrificed?.......or is there a physical restriction caused by differing total area of outer holes?

If an oil filter is listed in a cross reference guide for a particular engine/application, should they not have the same total area of outer holes in the filter housing?

Anyone know exactly the engineering of this?

Last edited:
   / Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #2  
All your area calculations are off. Area of a round hole is Pie*(r squared)

You’d want to compare specified flow rates, and bypass PSI too to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

Oil gear pumps are positive displacement type, so the flow will be the same. A more restrictive opening only increases the oil velocity at the point of restriction, and adds more load to the engine turning the pump

Last edited:
   / Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #3  
All your area calculations are off. Area of a round hole is Pie*(r squared)
Yes, that is what he did. His numbers are correct, per hole. He just didn't multiply by hole count to get total areas.

/ Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #4  
Yes, that is what he did. His numbers are correct, per hole. He just didn't multiply by hole count to get total areas.
I see that now. I just assumed he was considering the number of holes in his area

/ Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #7  
And

/ Oil Filter Flow - Physical Limitation #10  
Coyote… you’d also want to factor in the resistance of the anti drain back valve covering the holes. Some have more pressure , and/or stiffness than others