Oil Filters

/ Oil Filters
I just picked up 3 of them yesterday and they were only $5.95.
Wow!! Where'd you find 'em for that price?
Any idea who actually makes that filter?

/ Oil Filters #12  
DieselPower said:
Holy smokes, $12 for the factory Kohler filter. Sounds like you need to buy your filters somewhere else. I just picked up 3 of them yesterday and they were only $5.95.

JSharp - I have to disagree on the reason for the bypass function of a filter. The bypass is there to protect the engine not the filter. If the filter should get plugged the bypass allows oil to bypass the filter media so oil flow is not restricted from the oiling system. No bypass and you can wipe a engine in under a minute if the media should plug.

Wow! I bought 10 factory Kohler filters over the net for $4.99/unit plus shipping.

L8R,
JGY

/ Oil Filters
I just picked up 3 of them yesterday and they were only $5.95.
Wow! I bought 10 factory Kohler filters over the net for $4.99/unit plus shipping.
Guys - where are you finding them at those prices?
I was just at Home Depot this AM, and they're $11.99. :eek:

/ Oil Filters #14  
The problem with Wic & Napa filters is this: If the filter will screws on the mounting base Wic will say it works. Wic catalog cross reference comes up short
if element micron and bypass flow are considered. I've seen failures in CAT hydraulic/hydrostatic drives simply because cross referenced Wic were used.
Learn from my mistake! Buy Baldwin filters! I'll never use another Wic/Napa filter!

/ Oil Filters #15  
I got mine at Harringtons in Emmitsburg, MD. Sounds like Home Depot is raking people over the coals at $11.99.

/ Oil Filters #16  
RWEST said:
Guys - where are you finding them at those prices?
I was just at Home Depot this AM, and they're $11.99. :eek:
Google "kohler oil filters" and you'll find a number of sites on the net. The same search on eBay returned 50 hits.

Click Here for a site that has the 1205001 for $6.98.

/ Oil Filters #17  
Burst pressure?

After working 30 years in the auto industry, I submit, you probably should worry more about getting struck by lightning.

/ Oil Filters #18  
People go to Home Depot for oil filters? Wow, think I'll run down to the auto store for some lumber.

/ Oil Filters #19  
I have bought all my filters at Menards for the last 8 years except for my tranny filters and hydraulic filter, they don't carry them. They carry Quaker State Filters and I have had good luck.

I must be the luckiest guy on this site because both of my Ford Diesels use the same filter. My lawn mower, Saturn, and Girl Friends Toyota all use the same QS3614 filter so I buy them 24 at a time on sale for usually $1.99 each. The tractor and F-150 take the same QS2 Filter so I get them also in the case for $1.99 each. I buy the Quaker State Oil and Rotella on sale there usually 96 qts or more at a time.

End result is I only need 3 filter numbers to take care of my stuff. I run 15W40 in the diesels and 5W30 in the gas engines. I keep the oil on hand along with the filters so there is never a need to run to town just to change the oil.

Right now I have 9 gallons of Rotella 15W40 on the shelf and probably 30 qts of Quaker State 5W30.

Chris

/ Oil Filters #20  
KevPH1 said:
The problem with Wic & Napa filters is this: If the filter will screws on the mounting base Wic will say it works. Wic catalog cross reference comes up short
if element micron and bypass flow are considered. I've seen failures in CAT hydraulic/hydrostatic drives simply because cross referenced Wic were used.
Learn from my mistake! Buy Baldwin filters! I'll never use another Wic/Napa filter!

I second that. Ask anyone who owns a GM truck with an Allison transmission. Replacing the spin on with a wix is a joke. When wix designed the filter, they did not account for the filter magnet, when you put the magnet back on the new wix filter, the magnet covers the holes.

I try to avoid them if at all possible.