Oil Filters

/ Oil Filters #1  

Schultz

Gold Member
Tractor
BX-2200
Ever wonder which filter is really the best flowing or the best filtering? Or how some of them are constructed?

A fellow gear head and I put together this study, he did all the work and expense of gathering filters, cutting them apart, taking measurements, pictures, web site construction, I did the testing and test report. Anyway, I think it holds a lot of good unbiased information that anyone could use to make an educated decision as to what filter brand may be best for their application.

Here is the link to how the filters tested and a lot of other data on construction details.

Oil filter Study

The test data is contained in the spreadsheet or click on the quick link
Filter test spread sheet

If you like what you see, consider the paypal option, no one is looking to make any money, just recoup some of the expenses.

/ Oil Filters #2  
Very interesting (and thurough) report. I have seen a filter 'study' that was little more than a guy with a hack saw. Never did any flow or filtering test.

I have used Fram for many years. In the '70's, I saw a similar test to yours done by Consumer Report that gave them a 'best buy'. Glad to see they still make a good oil filter

/ Oil Filters #3  
That's a great study - thanks! In your research, did you ever come across the Wix ST (Sport Truck) filters? For some reason, Wix discontinued those filters and I thought it was a shame because they seemed to be excellent. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Oil Filters
Yea I saw that one too, it had some good construction details but lacked the testing. That's what made me email the guy that was doing another one like it for his boat motor filters. All in all it was a good learning experience, but I've seen enough filters for a while. I also became convinced that the oil filter does a lot less than I had thought it did.

Unlike many that seem to dislike the Fram, I became convinced they are a very good filter after all. Once nice thing, the Fram Tough Guard is the only Ford type filter that has a screen covering the bypass valve. So even in bypass you wouldn't get any large particles circulating.

/ Oil Filters
Nope, didn't see the Wix Sport Truck.

/ Oil Filters #6  
The report also mentioned bypass oil filter. I know it was not reported but did you run tests on any of them.

A little story. My dads 1st new truck was a '73 Suburban, Custom (ie stripped) with a 454. He put a bypass oilfilter on it when new. It used tolet paper for the filter media. I think it was from Amico. Anyway, he never changed the oil in it. It burned a quart every 500 miles from new (like most Chevy BBs) plus another quart every 1000 miles when he changed the tolet paper. So he kept replacing the additive package. He had the motor rebuilt at 140,000 miles. He replaced the rings, even though they were in spec. Everything else measured as new. He was still driving the truck in '96 when the brakes went out and he rearended a flatbed truck. Totaled it.

/ Oil Filters
No, I didn't test the bypass filters. To test these properly is a much more involved process that I didn't want to get into. I really think they are a great thing for conserving oil and reducing or eliminating oil change intervals.

Off the tractor subject but......
After the study I researched a couple different bypass types. I was even going to create my own with a hydraulic filter. I ended up with a Trasko unit becasue of its simplicity. Its a spin-on filter the same size as OEM with a replacable bypass unit inside. The paper element has to be replaced every 10k miles. Some say replace it every 3-5k, dump the oil from the filter, add makeup oil and then never change your oil again. Another indiviual (not associated with Trasko) is using a trasko filter, he had 30k miles on his oil and was still going. During which he only used a quart or two as make up oil. In his case the car wasn't buring oil and he poured the oil that came out of the filter back into the car. His used oil analysis every 5-10k miles indicated everything was still good with the oil and the engine.

So far I've only got 1100 miles on the filter and oil. The oil still looks like it did in the begining, but it's still too early to tell.