Oil/Fluid pre-heating

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I have a coolant heater, but would really like to be able to warm the engine oil and transmission (hydro), My son has a magnetic heater that he uses, but when I look underneath I can't see any reasonably smooth/flat surface to mount anything.

This is a B3030/hydro. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #2  
No small flat surfaces? I have slapped on (2) 250w magnetic heaters on the transmission housing, I found they did very little to warm 11 gallons of fluid.
What does work well on both the oil and trans is a radiant heater, but be sure it's not directed toward any wiring or other combustible materials! I have a 1500w radiant heater that I set on its back on the concrete floor that keeps the transmission fluid relatively warm.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #3  
I have a coolant heater, but would really like to be able to warm the engine oil and transmission (hydro), My son has a magnetic heater that he uses, but when I look underneath I can't see any reasonably smooth/flat surface to mount anything.

This is a B3030/hydro. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Questions: 1) Is your 3030 kept in a garage or at least a closed barn out of the weather? 2) How well or poorly does the coolant heater work? Is it the "pulses small squirts of hot coolant through the radiator hose" type? Doesn't that heat the entire engine and secondarily heats the crankcase oil well above outside ambient air temp ? 3) Are you trying to solve a problem or just wanting to improve things a little in cold weather?

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating
Questions: 1) Is your 3030 kept in a garage or at least a closed barn out of the weather? 2) How well or poorly does the coolant heater work? Is it the "pulses small squirts of hot coolant through the radiator hose" type? Doesn't that heat the entire engine and secondarily heats the crankcase oil well above outside ambient air temp ? 3) Are you trying to solve a problem or just wanting to improve things a little in cold weather?
1) It is kept in an unheated shed.
2) I don't know how well the coolant heater works, I just assume it helps somewhat. It does seem to start easier when I remember to turn it on a couple hours ahead of time (I have an app-controlled outlet that it's plugged into).
3) Want to improve things.

The coolant heater, if it's helping, only helps with starting. Because it's a hydro transmission you're supposed to allow that to warm that up before use.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #5  
electric engine oil heater dipsticks are available, but would not recommend.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #6  

Get or make yourself a nice engine cover and your rad heater will be enough assuming you park out of drafty areas.

bird dogger had some nice kits.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #7  
A word of caution on heaters for trans oil is that they can cause condensation - moisture problems in the hydraulic fluid. Hydrostatic trans are self warming via the charge circuit. Just using radiant heat source vs magnetic is usually less problematic for condensation moisture

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating
I'm mostly interested in the tranny, since the engine does have the coolant heater already.

/ Oil/Fluid pre-heating #9  
Use a quality synthetic Tractor/HST oil in your transmission and you can start working your tractor with only a short warmup. I’m blowing snow within 5 minutes of startup, smooth hydraulic operation all before the engine temperature is fully up to normal. I’m using Amsoil Tractor/Hydraulic Fluid and I’m very happy with it…
Not cheap but using UOA I’ve already doubled the oil change interval which helps.