Oil for Turbo

/ Oil for Turbo #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
This oil question has been discussed a lot on this form but don't recall Turbo's being part of the discussion. I have heard that synthetic oils are better for a turbo. I am going to use Rotella T 15W-40 but not sure about synthetic or non-synthetic. Any thoughts? 2002 New Holland TN75, 72hp 3 Cylinder Turbo diesel, 2400 hrs.

Thanks, BH

Last edited:
   / Oil for Turbo #2  
I am not an oil expert. I do use and prefer Synthetic in all my machines. I would guess it to be better in Turbo engine also. With the heat that a turbo can create I would expect a synthetic would provide better protection.

/ Oil for Turbo #3  
It depends on how you use it. hard use in cold weather (big difference in oil temperatures) calls for a low viscosity synthetic oil. In average temperatures with average use, mineral is good enough, because the oil will sooner age from time than from actual use.

/ Oil for Turbo #4  
I plan to buy a turbo diesel VW Jetta. Will definitely use synthetic oil in it, probably the 0w30 Mobil 1 (this is what Mercedes uses). If you go for longer intervals, the Mobil 1 5w40 "SUV" (and diesel) oil is probably better.

15w40 is too heavy for the winter. You need something 0wxx. In Imperial Research tests, the ONLY oil that would not smoke the upper valve train in winter starts was a 0wxx. In Sun Oil tests, synthetic oils gave NO upper valve train wear; whereas, dino oils did (on taxi cabs). Why? Because the synthetic oil with lower (don't know whether it was 5wxx or 0wxx in their test) cold start numbers are "grabbed" quicker by the oil pump and get up to the valve train on startup.

ANY oil will be more viscous than its later viscosity reading, e.g. its yywxx "xx" value, on startup. So, even a 0w40 oil will be more viscous than a 40w oil on startup.

You guys can be killing your diesel engines by thinking you need 40w in them. I use 0w30 in mine, both the tractor and Benz diesel.

Ralph

/ Oil for Turbo #7  
I used Shell 5Wx40 for years. Then I noticed that my JD dealer had 0Wx40 oil in a 5 gallon pail for $100 or $20 per gallon. The Shell oil was over $20 per gallon so I have bought the JD 0Wx40 oil since it is better and cheaper.

I am about to change out the first use of JD 0Wx40 and I am really curious what the UOA will show.

I don't know if NH has their own brand of synthetic oil but it might be worth checking to see if they do and how their price compares with Shell or some other brand.

I use the JD oil in my F350 and the tractor.

Later,
Dan

/ Oil for Turbo #8  
Bob,
I would agree with most the other guys here, a synthetic oil will protect better in general. I would use a good oil and do not skimp on the filter!

Ralph,
I do respectfully disagreee that 40w oils are killing diesels since it has been the oil of choice in diesel engines for years and years with good results. In cold temps I can see using the 0w or 5w 30 or 40 oils since their flow properties will be better at start up.Even the pour point of JD 15w40 oil is -33C.

Slickstuff,
I hear nothing but good things about Schaeffer's products and have it (gear oil) in my limited slip rear Dodge truck. I might use it if I had something besides a BX Kubota diesel. Just don't use enough oil to warrant trying to track it down.

KennyV and dmccarty
I have also heard good things about the 5w40 Rotella synthetic too.
but I too use the JD oil only in 15w40
dmccarty,
post what you find on your UOA re. the JD0w40
Good comments guys
TPS

/ Oil for Turbo
My manual recommends 15W-40 for where I'm located. Doesn't go below freezing often and when it does it doesn't stay there long. Also it will be stored inside during the winter. I change my engine oil and filter twice a year regardless of hours. I don't think $30 per change is that much compared to my truck which cost $41 per change at least 4 times a year. I think I'll switch to synthetic next time. If I change my mind after switching is there any issues switching back? Thanks for all the info!

/ Oil for Turbo #10  
I remember forty years ago you were supposed to prime the turbo by running the starter with the fuel shut off after an oil change or a long period of rest. Nowadays many engines start with the turn of a key and you can't do that.

I think you might as well follow your owner's manual's oil recommendations.