Oil Fuel Tank Removal

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal #11  
couldn't you have the tank emptied and dug up for less than $1000? must be a bigger tank than i am thinking??
sounds like you may luck out for an easy way out, good luck
heehaw

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal
Rich,

This guy wants $1,500 just for removal. Another $600 to set up a new tank. So, $2,100 total. Really high, IMO. This is a semi-rural area, and I think the "prices" depend on how much money the guy needs this week.

I found out from the former owner that the tank is 275 gallons, and was put in about 5 years ago, just before I bought this place. Also, the tank is fiberglass.

The new owner of my place has decided that with a tank that new, and of fiberglass with no chance of rusting, he doesn't don't care about it anymore. He will remove at some future date. So, lucky for me!

One again, thanks to you and the others for such prompt, thoughtful and useful help. You're the best!

Tobey

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal
Heehaw,

See my other post. Seems like I did "luck out." I was getting ready to just close the old one down myself, cap it, and forget about it. Thanks.

Tobey

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal #14  
Heehaw, it might be possible to have someone take it out for under $1000, depending on where the tank is, but, if it's not done properly, and there's any oil leakage that gets reported, you become responsible for removing all the oiled soil, which can run into even bigger bucks. It's always better to have these things done by oil contractors, their price covers all possible problems. They're insured for it. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk.

Rich

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal #15  
Don't mention it, Tobey! I'm glad it worked out for you! You'll find that TBN is one of the best places to get all sorts of info, and everyone is always eager to help. Why don't you register, and officially join in!! It's free!!

Rich

/ Oil Fuel Tank Removal #16  
Tobey,

I think the buyer decided to leave the tank in the ground so this might not apply. But its interesting anyway. The home shows mentioned this problem during their tank removal episodes. There was a story in one of our papers yesterday about a tank that had been disconnected. The story did not say if the tank had been removed.

An 80+ year old lady owns the house but lives elsewhere. Her management company ordered an oil delivery which occured and the company put in 60 gallons. But the tank was disconnected and the oil apparently went all over/into the house. The owner has spent close to $30,000 cleaning up the house and the dirt that was oiled. The money does not include painting and other fixes. She wants to sell the house but can't because of the smell. Seems like all the oil is not removed if they still have a smell. The 60 gallons cost a bit over 60 dollars to purchase but caused over 30K in damages! That is one heck of an ouch!

I guess the moral of the story is if a tank is removed the filler tube needs to be removed or welded shut.....

Later....
Dan McCarty