Oil leak on 4010

/ Oil leak on 4010 #1  

chliansh

I have a JD 4010 with just at 300 hours and it developed an oil leak. The dealer looked at it quickly when I had it there for other reasons and said it looked like it was the front dust cover? It leaks about 5-6 quater sized drops each time it sets.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Dealer says 4-5 hours of labor and that there is not a paper seal to rpl just rtv liquid gasket?

/ Oil leak on 4010 #2  
If and this is a big IF, you can see where the leak is coming from. You can seal it yourself. Clean the area it is leaking from with a good brake cleaner to remove the oil and dirt, wipe it clean and seal it with rtv. You will need to let it sit over night to cure well but unless the cover is warped this should stop your leak. The space between the cover and the engine is only a very small area the rtv on the outside will seal just as well.
Your issue will be finding the leak in an accessible place. If you can see it but the rtv tube wont reach use a straw for extra reach or a stick with some rtv on it. I know this sounds like a crude fix but it works there are thousands of cars and trucks that this has been used on.

/ Oil leak on 4010
Thanks for the tip
The front of my engine was packed in tight by JD(cant see anything). I plan to pull it apart when I have some time.

300 hours and 2.5 years old seems too young to be leaking oil?