Oil leaking from tube under oil pan

/ Oil leaking from tube under oil pan #1  

Big Bri

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Friday I was helping a neighbor remove debris from his yard after the flooding we've had. I stopped to take a break and noticed oil dripping.... Almost pouring from under the tractor. After getting under the tractor I see that it's hydraulic oil coming from a tube that runs from the front axle goes between the oil pan and to the back of the tractor. I called my local dealer and was told at least 5-6 weeks before they could look at it as they have many flooded tractors in for repairs.
have any of you seen this, is it an easy diy fix or should I wait on the dealer.
i still have 2 more houses wanting me to remove debris to the road and don't want to leave them hanging
This is for a MX5100
thanks for the help

Last edited:
   / Oil leaking from tube under oil pan #2  
Hydraulic oil may be leaking into that tube from a failed seal further back. On a MX5100 the 4wd shaft comes from the transmission, through the mid case and clutch housing. There's an oil seal to prevent hydraulic fluid getting into the clutch housing. Unfortunately replacing this seal requires splitting the machine. There are a few recent TBN threads on this problem.

Last edited:
   / Oil leaking from tube under oil pan #3  
Do you have any oil dripping from the split bolt under the clutch housing also?

/ Oil leaking from tube under oil pan
Well that's not good. Wounded what causing these leaks. My tractor only has 500hrs on it.

Not that I can tell.

/ Oil leaking from tube under oil pan #6  
If the "split bolt under the clutch housing" is not leaking any hydro fluid than you may have gotten lucky and have a leak at the front end of the shaft instead. There was another TBN thread where the leak was coming from the front axel and draining back. Like others have said if the leak is a the transmission end the tractor needs to be split to fix it. Kubota supposedly updated that seal on later model tractors do to the number of leaks. There really should have been a factory recall.

/ Oil leaking from tube under oil pan #7  
If the "split bolt under the clutch housing" is not leaking any hydro fluid than you may have gotten lucky and have a leak at the front end of the shaft instead........
You're right - I'm so accustomed to front axles having 80W90 in them I just assumed the leak was from the transmission. If it is actually coming from the front there isn't enough fluid in there to leak for long. If it stops by itself check levels at both ends of the tractor.

Well she is going to the dealer to get fixed.

Ok got the tractor back, the transmission seal was leaking, the dealer ship replaced the seal and acouple bearings, they also informed me that the clutch disk was oil soaked and the pressure plate had cracking on the face and recommended changing them as well while they were in there. I agreed and my total bill was $2950
thanks for all the help.