Oil pan drain plug gasket questions

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions
Good suggestions. I like the idea of directly marking the filter with date and Hours.

I'm super careful about not overtightened stuff. I always go with minimal force then check for leaks.

Now here's why I do my own own oil changes.

First, on my 2004 Tacoma-- it was a new model year and the kid at the dealership used the wrong year filter. By time I made my first stop I had a massive oil leak --- had less than a quart of oil left in the sump. Dealer sent the service manager to change oil and filter in the Post office parking lot where I parked the vehicle. I wanted the oil checked for engine wear (Truck had 3000 miles on it) but of course by time management modified the mechanics findings there was a gallon of oil left in the sump. Never did have a problem with the engine though.

Second I want the engine hot when I do the change. I can't assure that a garage has fully warmed the engine before the change.

Third, It give me a chance to look over things for signs of trouble.

Incidentally, I looked at a Subaru Impreza 2012. They place the engine oil filter up front & ON TOP of the engine. With it's own little drip pan. Brilliant engineering.

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #12  
Btf, I agree with most of your reasons for doin it your self on oilchanges.Warming the engine insures the solids are mixed witht the oil and leave the pan.. I prefer the solid brass plug gaskets. I was able to pick several from the screen at Walmart, when i poured my oil into the recycle tank. Nice to have a spare, just in case, i noticed some of them were plastic type..It has been many years since i had a stripped oil pan plug..