Oil & Fuel Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #41  
Do not do this. These oils are too thick when "cold" to flow well and there will be damage/accelerated wear to oil starved parts during warmup. Use a multigrade; 15W40 or 20W50.

Not going to damage anything in warm summer weather to experiment if higher viscosity oil will raise the pressure . Tell us please how heavier oil and more pressure is going to damage an engine currently operating without enough oil pressure ?

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #42  
Don't even think about that!
You might as well run straight STP "motor honey" and really screw up your engine. You can try taking down on the relief valve some more, but at this point I don't think the pump has enough volume to allow the valve to compensate. Like Spyderlk says, stick with a multi-grade oil so you get oil to the top end and camshaft in a timely manner. I see a bearing inspection in your future.

Not going to damage anything in warm summer weather to experiment if higher viscosity oil will raise the pressure . Tell us please how heavier oil and more pressure is going to damage an engine currently operating without enough oil pressure ? A lttle ticking of tappets which isn't going to happen anyways, won't matter.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #43  
0.2 mpa = 29 psia, 0.4mpa = 58 psia. 20 kpa = 2.9 psia, 40 kpa = 5.8 psia. 1.0 kpa = .001 mpa, 1.0 mpa = 1,000 kpa.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #44  
Not going to damage anything in warm summer weather to experiment if higher viscosity oil will raise the pressure . Tell us please how heavier oil and more pressure is going to damage an engine currently operating without enough oil pressure ? A lttle ticking of tappets which isn't going to happen anyways, won't matter.
It's always easy to sit back in the armchair and gamble with other peoples money. I never take that stance. My employer entrusted my crew and I with small to multi-million dollar diesel power plants, plus maintaining my own equipment. So that's the knowledge and experience I bring to the table.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #45  
I've ran Rotella 15w40 ever since I got it 5 years ago. Bought it used with 362hrs on it. Hot pressure before was between 0.2mpa and 0.4mpa I never had a mechanical gauge on it up until a month ago when my pressure would drop a touch below 0.2 and my oil light would start flickering off & on

No continuity there. It must be .02 and .04mpa (20 and 40 kilo Pascals) ~ 3 and 6PSI. Sounds like pressure has always been low. Also, based on quicksandfarmer experience it appears there is a higher volume pump available ... or else one having tighter rotor clearance hence much less internal leakage.

Ok so I'm a little confused, is 0.2mpa not 29.008psi and 0.4mpa not 58.015psi?
YES ... but its not adding up. Why would the oil light flicker at 29PSI? Thats why I think theres a problem with the decimal point on that original ??electronic?? gauge. Those readings dont come anywhere near agreement with the mechanical gauge nor with the low pressure light coming on. Move the decimal one place and it makes sense.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #46  
0.2 mpa = 29 psia, 0.4mpa = 58 psia. 20 kpa = 2.9 psia, 40 kpa = 5.8 psia. 1.0 kpa = .001 mpa, 1.0 mpa = 1,000 kpa.
PSIA = pounds per square inch atmospheric. PSIG = pounds per square inch gauge. The gauge may or may not be compensated for 14.7 pounds atmospheric pressure at sea level.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #47  
PSIA = pounds per square inch atmospheric. PSIG = pounds per square inch gauge. The gauge may or may not be compensated for 14.7 pounds atmospheric pressure at sea level.
Iv always thought the A was for absolute. ... Good point though, but it wont come together that way. -- For the "hot" figures, subtracting atmospheric ~15 still gives a pressure of 14 PSIG where the oil light was flashing and 43PSIG at work revs to compare with a mechanical gauge reading 7 to 10 psi at work rpm.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #48  
Not going to damage anything in warm summer weather to experiment if higher viscosity oil will raise the pressure . Tell us please how heavier oil and more pressure is going to damage an engine currently operating without enough oil pressure ?
Low oil pressure is not as bad a low oil flow. With a heavy single weight oil there will be low flow all thru the warming period. Pressure will be high but most of the flow would likely flow thru the relief valve. ... A multigrade is not so thick when cold and should flow amply to all parts. - Further, it will hold viscosity according to the higher number as it heats. A 20W50 will equate to 50weight when hot.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284
the mechanical gauge I have for it is just a inexpensive $12.99 jobber from oreilly auto parts, it's a equus mechanical oil pressure gauge. On the gauge face it has a peg for zero, then there is the next notch that isn't numbered I'm guessing maybe 10-12psi then the first numbered pressure is 25psi, when working the tractor the other day, digging gravel out of a creek bed my pressure at working temp was the notch between zero and 25.

/ Oil Pressure After New Pump??? Jinma 284 #50  
It's always easy to sit back in the armchair and gamble with other peoples money. I never take that stance. My employer entrusted my crew and I with small to multi-million dollar diesel power plants, plus maintaining my own equipment. So that's the knowledge and experience I bring to the table.

Some people just can't think through a problem and troubleshoot. Tell us how straight 40 or 50 wt will blow up and engine and 15-40 won't ?
As for cost and value? How does your $500 Chinese tractor compare to the multi billion dollar 540MW nuclear steam turbines with the librication systems that I have maintained ?

Last edited: