Oil pressure too high?

/ Oil pressure too high? #11  
Common problem with MF OEM oil pressure gauge. My 150 has shown "high" like that since it was new.

The pressure relief in the oil pump on those Perkins 3-cylinders have a habit of sticking on engines that have a history of poor maintenance. Pressure will go "off the chart" if it does that.

/ Oil pressure too high? #12  
So I took Soundguy's advice and picked up a graduated gauge from Auto Zone and hooked it up to the tractor. Boy was I relieved when it quickly rose to 60 psi cold but went no further. Looks like I won't have to drop the oil pan after all!

Thanks for all the great input. Now all I have to do is weld up the part I broke while removing the loader so I could replace the air filter. It turns out a QD loader really isn't QD when the bolt hasn't been turned in 15 years.

so what part didja break? :)

glad the oil pressure deal turned out ok. that's why I like a delineated gauge..

soundguy

/ Oil pressure too high?
so what part didja break? :)

glad the oil pressure deal turned out ok. that's why I like a delineated gauge..

soundguy

I twisted off the bolt on the thingie that holds the loader to the frame. The diagram on Messick's calls it a 'clamp weld' and says it costs $74.

I haven't welded in 15 years, but I'm willing to give it a try rather than spending $74 + shipping for a replacement part. Guess now it's time to find out if I can still strike an arc, assuming I can even find my helmet.

/ Oil pressure too high? #14  
if I didn't have a torch, grinder, chopsaw and welder I'd be broke. new stuff costs way too much vs fixed stuff.. :)

/ Oil pressure too high? #15  
If I were you I would buy a temp gauge that works also. Temps in a diesel are just as important as oil press readings. I take a look at both gauges every minute or so while running my tractors.

Chris

/ Oil pressure too high?
Diamondpilot said:
If I were you I would buy a temp gauge that works also. Temps in a diesel are just as important as oil press readings. I take a look at both gauges every minute or so while running my tractors.

Chris

I need to figure out if the problem is in the gauge or the sender, assuming it's an electrical gauge. Any tips besides pulling the wires and hooking a VOM to it?