Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here?

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #1  

monster318

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 318
Ok so I took the Fiance car shopping and we found a really nice, used, clean, fully loaded 2012 Volkswagon Passat. They had it on the lot for 15,8xx. Car has 49,xxx miles & still under factory warranty. Car sales lady comes out, starts doing her thing trying to sell us the car. Before I even opened the car up, I noticed outer tire wear on the front tires, brought that up to her telling her it needs an alignment and possible front end work. Previous owner drilled a hole in the trunk lid behind the license plate (found out later it was for a backup camera that previous owner installed and removed prior to trading it in) that was an easy fix for me but I didn't let her know that. So we open up the car, start it, Check engine light on, immediately I throw up the red flag and say this car might not be for us, three strikes your out kind of deal. So we test drive it, and it drove good, didn't have as much power as I expected, but I drive a Turbo charged sports car, so maybe it was just me expecting more than what the car really was. We go in, start to talk numbers, I list all the problems and what I foresee with the car, so she comes at me with a price of 15,300 plus tax, title tags etc. I came back at her with a price of 13,500 OUT THE DOOR. She goes to her boss, comes back, they will do 13,500 on the car, but want us to pay tax, title etc...So we gave her the walk away treatment, of course expecting a call back the next day. Which of course we got, So I came back at her with this, We would do 13,500 plus tax title etc, but I want, Check engine light fixed, Fresh Annual inspection done on the car, 4 new all season tires, alignment done, and washed, waxed and detailed on day of pick up. They agreed to all except the 4 new tires, so once again we told her were going somewhere else. Next day we get another phone call asking if we changed our mind, So we came back with this, 13,500 we pay tax they pay title registration etc. They accepted, everything was set, we pay for the car and have it set up to be picked up this morning. (Saturday)

Heres the problem...

The car dealership is 2 miles from our home, we go down to pick the car up, sign all the final papers and be done, as we pull out of the parking lot, the fiance is supposed to be following me, I get a ways ahead of her, and get home before her, which isn't unusual, she drives slower then me, 5 whole minutes go by and finally I see her coming up the road with a whole string of cars behind her, she pulls into the driveway balling her eyes out "THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CAR...IT WONT GO OVER 20MPH" I was like "no you prob put it in the wrong gear, so I get in and drive it, and low and behold, in first gear it hits 3,500 rpm and hit the rev limiter and wont shift. right back to the dealership I take it, go right into the owner of the dealerships office (he has a big glass office right up front) I explain we just drove the car off the lot 10 minutes ago, he said he remembered seeing us in there earlier, I told him what the car was doing, he took it for a drive, found the same problem I did plus the check engine light came back on while he was driving it!, immediately lined us up for a loaner car from his lot, and told us he personally would be taking the car down to the VW Dealer first thing Monday morning.

The car is already paid for, we paid in Cash, but when we go pick the car back up from being fixed, should we push for anything more? Free Oil changes?? Free washes and details for xx amount of time??? I am new to all this car buying from the dealer stuff, All my vehicles I bought privately off people. But having a major issue with the car directly off the lot seems a little too much to let go.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #2  
PoopTronic Transmission STB'd. New one $5000 installed. Used U install: $1500.

I'd quietly request all my money refunded. Its a Lemon. Got get a Vibe or a Matrix. I have 2 Vibes (2006 and 2010). Totally problem free. Winter Tanks on Blizzak snow tires.

What I do is collect a few dozen sale prices from Craigslist and other want ads (cars.com etc) (Deal and private owners) for several separate model years. Then make a plot (graph paper or Excel whatever you can handle) of Mileage on the X axis and Price on the Y axis. Do it by model year and note the options at each dot.

Pretty soon you will see a curved trend of price vs. mileage for each year. Study the variation and look at the overlap. This way you will be relieved of the feeling you are paying too much. Then make a fair offer and stick to it.

On my 2010 Vibe, the dealer misquoted the mileage because the ODO was set on KM instead of miles, so the dot stood out as an outlier when I factored in the corected lower mileage. I forgot to mention this to the dealer though, and took it home for the KM mileage price.

Good riding, roomy, squeak free and reliable wheels. Both of them. I bought the 2010 just in case the 2006's motor lays down later in life.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #3  
Yea, get your money back. Check you state law as to how long you can return it for a refund. You will loose some in canceling the transaction but will spend more repairing this one.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #4  
It's a gasser isn't it?

The diesels can go into shutdown mode where you can only creep along.

Regardless I'd write that car off and look for another.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #5  
You already said 3 strikes...now you have a little positive - er, negative reinforcement.
There are plenty of other cars for sale out there.

Laws vary from state to state, but here we have 3 days to return a car before it becomes final.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #6  
No way would I take a car like that. You can certainly expectation more for that kind of money.

Will

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #7  
If it still under warranty why was it not fixed correctly before you even took a test drive. How much more factory warranty does it have and if not much I would want an extended or my money back.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #8  
   / Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here? #9  
I can't believe you bought a used car and paid cash without driving it at all.

/ Ok all you seasoned car hagglers, what should we do here?
I can't believe you bought a used car and paid cash without driving it at all.

Did you miss the part about taking it for the test drive in my description?