Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down!

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Long story short: I've got a hydraulically operated 15' flexwing mower. Week or two ago, fired things up for spring.... mower is dead as a nail. Ascertained it was inside the speed increaser verses inside the pump itself, so just took apart earlier today.

Confirmed, both the gear shaft and pinion have a spot where something blew up in there and a number of teeth are missing. Either need to replace increaser or, if I can find the parts, the gears, bearings and a couple other things. (can gears like these be found somewhere?) Is there a "Home Depot" of gears & pinions?

I've emailed Alamo (owns Terrain King) and of course, nothing yet as I just did it and today is Sunday.

Thought I'd put to the brain-trust here to see what thoughts come up. I'm guessing it will probably be just as cost effective to replace entire unit by the time I replace the main guts inside.... so my issue here is bolt pattern. I had a bracket fabricated to fit as an interface between the tractor and the increaser so I really REALLY want to keep same bolt pattern to mount.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Internals.pdf
    138 KB · Views: 39
  • Bracket 1.JPG
    Bracket 1.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Bracket 2.JPG
    Bracket 2.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Bracket 3.JPG
    Bracket 3.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 52
   / Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down!
I might add, it's item 26 and 27 that need replaced. Probably should (need?) to replace the bearings and since I'm in there, gaskets/seals, spacers and the pesky adapter (#30)

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #3  
The increaser should have a tag as to make and model. Parts from Alamo probably pricey.
Probably easier/cheaper replacing the unit. Is it 1000 rpm or 540 rpm input.
If the ratio isn't listed on the gearbox, measure the diameter of the gears to figure out the ratio.

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #4  
comer is a company that builds speed increasers for the ag market. Parts breakdown shows ratio for both 540 and 1000 RPM. Looking at pictures looks like 540 is being used.

I presume there valves on the mower for over pressure and run down protection. Both of those concerns could cause broken gears from shock loads.

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down!
It is a 540 (but can be configured to 1,000 PTO)

Emailed a schematic with the very old part numbers.... for just the gear and pinion, she's telling me $3,079. I did that using my phone (I hate typing on phone) so I left off AND the four bearings, AND the gasket...

So I asked her (in the original email) how much for just a full new replacement unit. She's not answered that.

I'm presuming by the time you pay above, you are 80% on the way to a new unit with new everything inside.

If there's a silver lining, If I do something here, they can have the parts (or new unit) shipped directly to me so that will save me some issues to retrieve whatever happens. (nearest dealer is probably 2+ hours away)

How many cows and goats can I buy for $3,000?

(y)

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #6  
Can you figure out the GPM of the current pump?

Surplus Center has a lot of options between $1000 to $1400. Direct mount, no speed increaser. So a simpler setup.

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #7  
It is 1:4 increaser for 540 pto. If you went to the manufacturer of the gearbox, it would be less money for parts.
Dana make increasers in many ratios, but if I were going to replace the box as a whole, I would go with a 1000 rpm pto 1:2 ratio.

/ Ok boys, don't let me down! Two main gears inside speed increaser have slowed down! #8  
There are several manufactures of pto step up gearboxs to run hydraulic pumps. If you can find a manufacture name your parts hunt may be easier.