ok guys..... need input

/ ok guys..... need input #1  

jol1269

Silver Member
Tractor
p.t. 425
ok question , i was mowing the yard and broke one of the back wheel bolts on the 60'' mower so i have replaced it with another one . now the the question is has anyone put swivel casters on the back as on the front of their mower . i think that maybe this would prevent several issues . any replies are appreciated

/ ok guys..... need input #2  
I have the brush mower and I added grease fittings to the rear wheels. There is a flat spot on the side. I drilled a hole all the way to the axle bolt (with bolt removed) and then screwed in a grease fitting. Prior to that the bolt would get warm, not a good thing for a plastic wheel. It seems I was stopping every 15 minutes or so and spraying silicon lube between the axle bolt and the wheel. I don't know if your wheels are the same, but this seems to work pretty well.

BobRip

/ ok guys..... need input #3  
I have the 48 inch finish mower on my 422 and have been mowing with it for 5 years now and probably 450 hours using the mower. I am amazed I have never had any problem with the rear wheel except for one time I did not tighten the nut tight enough after changing the height and the wheel fell off. I will ocassionally spray some lubricant on the bolt but have never done anything else. Those plastic wheels are pretty tough to survive what they have gone through over the years mowing our yard(old field with lots of rough places).

/ ok guys..... need input #4  
There has been discussion of this before. There may be clearance issues between caster wheels and the front tires of the tractor.

I haven't lubed our rear wheels in three years on our 60" deck. This ear they are squealing something awful. I may try som lube or a grease fitting.

/ ok guys..... need input #5  
I put some rubber wheels on from Tractor Supply. They are smaller and let me cut the grass lower and they also have their own grease fittings built in.

Attachments

• 663222-AntiScalpWheel.JPG
    663222-AntiScalpWheel.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 100
   / ok guys..... need input
well my issue isnt as much with the wheel as it is the bolt as this is what broke . i wheel is fine but i wonder if mounting the wheels on casters would prevent the braking bolt as the front casters seem to be very rock steady compared to the rear wheels as the rear wheels dont turn and putting alot of pressue on the bolt not only down but side to side .