OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410?

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #1  

DaveM

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710/LA402 FEL, R4's
Hey Gang,

Jeez, it's not getting any easier. Maybe I need to do some deep breathing exercises for a couple of days! In addition to thinking the quotes I got for both the BX and the 7500 are too high, now I'm wondering if I'd regret getting a tractor w/o position control... which means spending even more $. Four weeks ago I began this quest looking at walk-behind brush cutters (DR Field Mower, etc.) and getting a garden tractor for mowing and garden work. Then I saw a BX2200 with a FEL and 60" mower. I think you can guess where that's lead to... this forum and lots of questions!

My hope is to get a tractor I'll be content with for many, many years. This means I'm not sure what I'll want it to do a year from now or 10 years from now. My (possible?) dealer said I might be alright using the belly mount mower to maintain the trails on our property so a bush-hog type mower might never be needed. We didn't talk about the B2410 or position control. He claims these are very heavy duty decks and cutting at 6" could be fine for trails and that they can cut 1/2-3/4" saplings with no problems. Would position control be especially helpful for any other rear mount implements? The B2410 also comes with a rear hydraulic outlet. Would a backhoe connect to this outlet? How about other implements?

FWIW, I definetely tend to buy big ticket items with a "no compromise" approach.

All opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Dave

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #2  
Dave, the dealer's right in that you can use a finish mower for a brush hog, you just have to go slow, might have to go over it more than once, and have to sharpen and/or replace blades frequently. I know you can do it because I've done some of it. However, you might keep in mind that you're running the risk of damage and more expensive maintenance on a mower that cost 3 or 4 times as much as a brush hog. And I wonder how many more folks, like me, bought a tractor (in my case a B7100) thinking it would be for a lifetime, only to decide to trade up to something better later (4 years later for me).

Bird

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #3  
Dave,
The advice that Bird is giving to you is the advice I took in my search and purchase of a compact tractor. I started looking at a BX2200 and ended up buying a B2710. The BX2200 would have done what I needed. However, in the few months that I was "comparing" tractors I came up with more and more ways to justify the bigger unit. My reasoning was that if I could come up with so many reasons in a couple of months of thinking about, imagine how many more I am going to come up with using the bigger tractor over the next 10 years.

Good Luck!

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #4  
Dave there are some implements that would require the position control, moldboard plow(without depth wheel) is one put even that could be regulated with check chains. They only cost around $20.00 and are available at most dealers.

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #5  
The other problem, Dave, is that you'll never get one tractor that's just right for everything. I went from the B7100 to the B2710, and I'm satisfied with it, but I'd get rid of this B2710 in a minute if I could afford an L48, an L4610, AND a BX2200 (with all the appropriate implments and attachments, of course)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And then I'd probably want an M120, too./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410?
Bird- That's occurred to me also! Made me think that maybe I should get the BX and shop for a used compact in a few years. Thing is, I could use the compact in a year or so when I build a large garage to store all my toys. Also, I'm not sure I can sell my wife on the idea of TWO tractors... at least not right away! I'm kinda steering away from the BX but time and a demo on our property will tell.

Dave

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410?
Art- I think I just discovered that my replies will go to the forum not just the poster. Maybe others out there are intrigued by "check chains". Could these ALSO be used on a brush hog as an inexpensive alternative to position control? Especially if one was not clearing large pieces of land?

Thanks- Dave

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #8  
Hey Bird, I'd take an L48 and a zero turn personally. That's my dream combo (excluding my B2710 plus a CAT 312c, plus a Bobcat with attatchments, plus a dump truck, fantasy).

More seriously Dave, I think any dealer that told you you could use the mower to cut 3/4" saplings better not tip their head inside, because they so full of it they're gonna leak you know what on the floor. (Of course they will be selling you the parts.) Yes, you'll cut 3/4", but they'll wreck your blades, and if they wrap around the blades or shafts, they'll stall you too. That's a pain to clean out. I use hand loppers and a rotary cutter on our trails. My neighbor, on the other hand, takes his JD garden tractor out to cut a field I'll only attempt with a rotary cutter. It's a 455 size (?), and you'd hate to hear it. He's a bit of a nut, however, and a mechanic who doesn't mind sharpening or replacing the blades every few weeks, replacing the belts and engine occasionally, or breaking things often. I think this is the third engine. If it weren't free help with my property, I don't know that I'd even want him doing it since the mower leaves sharper stumps then my cutter.

You're clearly in that "kid in the candy store" mode we all go through. Once you make the purchase, and spend all that hard earned money, you're not going to want to abuse your new toy. I get annoyed when my wife mows down the garden because she doesn't know how to hook up the rotary cutter.

As far as choosing the tractor goes, pick the one you like the best and can afford. Me, I went with a tractor that does 95% of what I want to, and does it well. I'll contract out what I can't do, because going up to the L3710 would cost more, and it probably wouldn't cut my lawn as well. I've never been unhappy with my purchase, even though I occasionally consider stepping up. My guess is, all three models will do for you as long as you're happy with your choice. Good luck.

Todd

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #9  
Dave yes they can in fact be a mechanical position control. For what you are going to do they will do the job. You can cut the sapplings as long as they are small and I would recommend some additional maintence to the deck when you finish. The sapplings of coarse will not have time to regrow in between normal mowings so you will only have to deal with them once if you keep your trails mowed on a regular basis.

/ OK, How About B7500 vs. B2410? #10  
DaveM, I guess you know that if you use "check chains" you attach them to the lower lift arm on your 3-point, not to the implement. Then you have to have a place to hook them at the top, so you can adjust them to whatever length you want for whatever implement you're using. At least that's the only way I've seen them used.

Bird