OK, now I'm really confused

/ OK, now I'm really confused #31  
I wouldnt be concerned with warranty coverage on a tractor 2-3 years old and 100-200 hours or even less. Most of the bugs are found in the first 100 hours and after that, not much to happen as long as it is properly maintained. I just recently bought a 2009 Kubota B26 TLB for $25K with 140 hours (new as equipped MSRP is $42K). It was just like new except any factory bugs had been removed. You can almost look at a tractor and tell if it has been abused or if it has been slightly used. No way could I justify spending the money for a new one but for $17K discount I got a bargain even without any warranty. It has been trouble free for 100 hours that I have put on it since June.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #32  
Teikas,

What about those used units that were posted - a 2320 nearly new 14 hrs with a BH for $21K then some others as well.

As Gary and others have said - get a decent used machine - you can get same or more machine for a lot of $ less than a brand new one.

There is a very very slim chance you will get a problem Kubota tractor based on expereince and all the fellows here that have these machines.

Bottom line save your $ and buy a slightly used one. BUT if you must have a new one, do what I did, I shopped the "on line" dealer at that time - Carvers in NC, and they were $24K delivered to NH for my B21 - that was in 2001 so not a lot of machines on line like today to compare and find.

I called my local dealer I worked and bought parts from for my older kubota and said will you accept $24,500 - he said yes.

Carl

/ OK, now I'm really confused
Thanks again, I'll reconsider possibly buying a used tractor. I'm one of those stupid people that buys cars and trucks new but if I can save big bucks I'll have to rethink a bit.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #34  
My concern with a used unit is the lack of warranty coverage. Also, I don't know how to compare hours of use to year of tractor. In a car or truck you can figure average use of 10,000 miles a year for a vehicle is normal, lower is better, higher not so much.

How do you figure out what is a good hours/age ratio on a tractor?

Did you ever get a good answer for hours and age?
I see where Kevin wrote:
"I say hours vs age isn't as important as maintenance. I bought my 950 with only 420 hours on it and it was 30 years old. I also just replaced all tires due to dry rot. Most tractors are built rather well and regardless of brand if maintained properly I personally am not afraid of hours on one."

Frankly, I'd agree. Not many things that you will ever own are made a durable as tractors. With normal maintenance, a tractor will last a lifetime. Maybe several. BTW, gauges keep track of engine hours at full RPM. So unless you run wide open all the time, don't be surprised if at the end of the day you've put on less hours than you expected.

Generalities are just that, but here's some rough guides: Under 500 hours the tractor still works exactly like a new one. Maybe better. Only difference is the paint is scratched and fading. In the next 500 to 2000 hours the maintenance list begins to include normal things like hoses, belts, and batteries, but the tractor still works the same. At about 1000 hours some slop becomes noticeable in the pivot bushings for the FEL and BH and the seat is splitting....and the tractor is looking a bit weather beaten....but all the systems still work just the same. And now it's time to decide about the tires. Not that they won't go longer, but the tread is worn past the traction point.

I've seen very few with over 2500 hours on them. Maybe because most small rural landowners use their tractors for a few hundred hours a year at most. I use mine fairly hard and often, but still only manage to get about 150 hours/year in the saddle. Of course, that works out to almost a month of 40 hour work weeks in the tractor seat. And don't forget that you are mostly at less than full throttle - in fact, I average about 1/3 to 1/2 of full throttle for all day. So it's not unreasonable to see that 150 hours on the hour meter translates a lot of months of 8 hour work days in the tractor seat!
Good Luck, rScotty

Thanks rScotty, that's a very good explanation on what a tractor's condition should be versus hours/age.

Well, I'm no longer confused and I don't have to worry about a tractor's age vs it's condition, or finding one on Craigslist or anywhere else. I followed the suggestions of many of you and contacted Barlow's. The deal is done and as soon as they get it ready so it can be delivered I'll have a 2012 Kubota B3200 with FEL, BH w/mech thumb and loaded tires sitting in my yard. Barlow's and you guys saved me thousands (that's right, thousands plural with an "s" on the end) over the best prices I could get around here.

I was going to wait until I had the full cash amount to buy outright but after talking to my wife she thought going for the $0 down, 0%, no payments until April 2013 was a deal that couldn't be passed up, particularly with the price I got from Barlow's. I'll give some advice back, it pays to be married to a farm girl if you want to buy a tractor!

A big thank you to all of you and to Brady at Barlow's!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / OK, now I'm really confused #37  
Congrats on your new tractor.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #38  
Congrat's on your tractor-to-be. I missed this thread earlier but would have posted that the best I could do here in CT for my BX25 in early 2011 was 7% off retail. The two closest local Kubota dealers were within $100 of each other. I contacted Barlow's but with a trade in, things get a bit more complicated so I stayed local with my purchase. Just another reason not to live in the NE. I love a lot of things about this part of the country, but a low cost of living is not one of them. Current plans are to leave CT once we fully retire IF we can sell our current home. Back on point, don't forget to post up some pic's once it arrives.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #40  
Glad you were able to find a deal that you are happy with. Pretty darn seldom you'd hear a bad word about Barlow or Messick on these pages.