OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up?

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #11  
When did this happen? Recently?

Anyway, you asked what we carry. Many opinions - experts say 'whatever you can shoot easily'. I tend to disagree - putting pea-shooter rounds into a drug addict is a wasted sense of self-protection. If you can't handle a man-stopping load, you shouldn't be in a "bad" area.

For urban use, I carry 1911 .45ACP with Hornady critical self-defense rounds (plastic-tipped expanding). Plastic tip reduces early expansion/plugging from heavy clothing. .45ACP is a proven combat man-stopper. It is also flat sided (semi-auto) for easier concealment.

For woods use, I carry .357mag +P CorBon 200 grain wad-cutter solid, hardened lead for black bear protection. This is a bone-crushing, shoulder/head round. I don't conceal this - the cylinder sticks out from my hip holster, so it is not uncomfortable. I always have it with me - in the northern midwest woods, the black bear populations are very high, & retiring city people have caused many to habitualize too much.

Out west, I carry .45 Long Colt +P CorBon 335 grain wad-cutter solid hardened lead for brown bear protection. That's about as big as I can handle - .454/.460/.500 is too much for me. It is significantly larger/heavier & I find harder to carry all day, that's why I use S&W L frame for midwest woods (black bears).

Hope this helps you with some ideas........

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up?
When did this happen? Recently?
Illinois was the last state in the nation to finally have some sort of conceal carry law.
It took for ever, but, it finally happened, thank God.
Today is the first day we can register on line for a carry permit=January6th.

Edit=This what I use in my .45s.
AMM-5161.jpg
image022.jpg

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #13  
I went through the Conceal Carry classes in Oklahoma many years ago - intending to acquire the permit. The longer I thought about it, the more reservations I had. At the end of the day, paying to exercise your rights is an indicator of tyranny. I decided I would forego the permit, carry when I felt like it and let Big Brother pound sand.

I do believe "in a number of states", you do not need a permit to carry in your home - or on your property - or in a business that you own.

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #14  
I went through the Conceal Carry classes in Oklahoma many years ago - intending to acquire the permit. The longer I thought about it, the more reservations I had. At the end of the day, paying to exercise your rights is an indicator of tyranny. I decided I would forego the permit, carry when I felt like it and let Big Brother pound sand.

I do believe "in a number of states", you do not need a permit to carry in your home - or on your property - or in a business that you own.

No permit at all to carry concealed in VT, for now. **** people moving here want to recreate their urban utopias from south of here, so no idea how long it will last.

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #15  

Here in MO. no permit to carry concealed in your home, your property or business or you automobile. Including on your person while in you automobile. But if you step out of the auto then you will need the permit unless you remove the weapon.

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #16  
Here in MO. no permit to carry concealed in your home, your property or business or you automobile. Including on your person while in you automobile. But if you step out of the auto then you will need the permit unless you remove the weapon.

Same way here in Georgia...

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #17  
In SC you can carry concealed without permit while driving to and fro from hunting or fishing. Can't get out of vehicle unless you are doing one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #18  
Man, I envy the States. I have handguns but they are just locked away. Sometimes take them out on our hundred acres but not into guns much anymore. Would be nice to have the option to take them out on the town, if I pleased though! A friend (and gun nut) in PA tells how he goes to the theatre and has his shoulder holstered Glock pointed (unbeknownst) at the person sitting behind him! That's a little scary! He's some kind of "Sheriff" but sounds more like a wanna-be cop!

I on the other hand have become some kind of a spiritual nut case of sorts though. Wonder if focusing on bad things happening to one will indeed manifest such.

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #19  
I've completed all the training, got my fingerprints, and recently sent in my application. I will be one of the first ones in Illinois I imagine. I haven't added up all the costs, but its somewhere around $500. The application is $150 for 5 years, the class was $225, and the electronic fingerprints something like $50. If you have had hunter safety training, been in the military, it will cut back on the number of class hours you need.

I have recently bought a Ruger LCP. Its a very small pocket pistol in 380. I have put about 150 rounds through it. I'm having a little problem with it not going fully into battery about every 10 to 20 rounds that I will have to resolve. I have mixed feeling about the 380 round. It won't exactly double as an elephant gun to say the least. It is something I plan on carrying every single day, so the saying is a 380 in your pocket beats a 45 on the dresser. I have a Kimber 45 and a Ruger 9mm that would make much better pistols in a fight but they are much harder to conceal. The LCP is something I can pocket carry with a pocket holster even in the summer.

A couple of comments on Illinois law on carry. First off, the only reason it happened is because a court order forced them to pass something. There were a lot of restrictions that the Chicago dems wanted to add that got left out, but in my opinion there are way to many restrictions on where you can carry. Public transportation being one of them. There are so many restrictions a person living in Chicago would probably have a hard time finding a spot he can carry. They also aren't allowing reciprocity. They do allow out of state people to get a permit though so someone who lives near the border but spends a lot of time in Illinois can get one, at a higher cost of course.

/ OK,now that Illinois has a conceal carry law,who is going to sign up? #20  
I've always wanted a little stubby stainless 22lr revolver. Something with rubber grips. Don't ask me why. For one, I guess I can shoot it very cheaply.

Back in the eighties, I remember reading how most people in the States are shot with a 22, AND most don't die right away but within 48 hours! If someone is deserving of me having to shoot them, I kind of like the idea of them having 48 hours to think about what they did!

Last edited: