Old Acetylene - Safe?

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
I have an old, 15 years or so, oxygen/acetylene set in my shop over the years. jThe tanks look good, and as far as I can tell both tanks are still nearly full.

Is this safe to use, assuming the hoses, regulators, etc. are in good shape?

Thanks,

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #2  
I have a bunch of smaller acetylene tanks that I have in a rotation for portable use. I recently used part of one that was about 12 yrs old. I wouldn't trust the hoses though.

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #3  
I have an old, 15 years or so, oxygen/acetylene set in my shop over the years. jThe tanks look good, and as far as I can tell both tanks are still nearly full.

Is this safe to use, assuming the hoses, regulators, etc. are in good shape?

Thanks,
I've used Oxy/acetylene that was over 25 years old without issue. Just make sure the regulators and hoses are Actually in good shape, not leaking, not just Looks fine.

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #4  
if the tanks haven't been used for that long, i'd 1st keep my eye on the regulators, not tanks
don't see any problem with the acetylene

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #5  
I'm keeping my eye on this thread because I bought my rig 30 years ago from a guy that bought it at a garage sale.

I might use it 5 times a year or once every 5 years.

How do we tell if the regulators and hoses are in good shape, beyond just looking?

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #6  
I cannot answer these questions, but there is a hydrostatic test requirement every so often on the tank, I’m sure that those cylinders cannot be refilled until after the hydro is done

/ Old Acetylene - Safe?
You folk make sense - I'll replace the hoses, regulators, and connectors. There is a Hobart set on Amazon for $250 or so, not worth the risk using old old rubber stuff.

I don't expect the tanks will be refillable without re-certifying so I'm not concerned about that, but I would like to be able to use the gases. I wasn't sure about the age issue. I[ve forgotten the size but the tanks stand about 4' tall. Like Mr. Bigtiller I use it now and then, and over the past years it's been then, but now I have a use for it now.

Thanks

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #8  
I find that oxy-acetylene mostly only gets used for heating things after collecting a plasma cutter, MIG, TIG, and stick

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #9  
I have a bunch of smaller acetylene tanks that I have in a rotation for portable use. I recently used part of one that was about 12 yrs old. I wouldn't trust the hoses though.
I bought my old Harris set used around 1990. The hoses are still fine. I'd inspect the hoses and go by the actual condition in the set. Both hoses get relatively low pressure, with the Acetylene at lower pressure than Oxygen.

My set predates the common use of flashback arrestors. Something that one should look at if one is using old welding equipment.
I cannot answer these questions, but there is a hydrostatic test requirement every so often on the tank, I’m sure that those cylinders cannot be refilled until after the hydro is done
Oxygen, Argon, NOS, Argon/CO2, and other high pressure tanks get hydro tested.

Acetylene tanks don't.

Unless you see significant damage to the tank, I wouldn't worry about the hydro until you empty and take it in for exchange/refill.

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #10  
as a safety note you prob already know: if the acetylene tank has been on it's side for transport, etc, allow them to remain upright overnight allowing the acetone to settle to avoid risk of the acetone damaging reg diaphragms

also, whether the regs are new or old, stand aside of the regs when pressurizing in case the diaphragms fail. never happened to me but read stories. bought my Smith regs in '71, work like new, but i always use caution when adj to correct pressure. best regards

Last edited: