Old Acetylene - Safe?

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #11  
You folk make sense - I'll replace the hoses, regulators, and connectors. There is a Hobart set on Amazon for $250 or so, not worth the risk using old old rubber stuff.

I don't expect the tanks will be refillable without re-certifying so I'm not concerned about that, but I would like to be able to use the gases. I wasn't sure about the age issue. I[ve forgotten the size but the tanks stand about 4' tall. Like Mr. Bigtiller I use it now and then, and over the past years it's been then, but now I have a use for it now.

Thanks
Just an fyi if you can show ownership of the tanks, the maintenance fees are usually somewhat insignificant, the value of the tanks are much higher!

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #12  
My set bought new in 1980 and last fill 2004… large tanks and don’t use often anymore.

Zero issue…

Hoses should be supple without damage to be safe.

Regulators can last forever with a little care such as slowly cracking the valve and not exceeding pressure limits.

A friend destroyed brand new regulators screwing in the pressure adjustments until he physically couldn’t and ruptured the diaphragms

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #13  
If the hoses get much direct UV sunlight they tend to get brittle and crack…

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #14  
You folk make sense - I'll replace the hoses, regulators, and connectors. There is a Hobart set on Amazon for $250 or so, not worth the risk using old old rubber stuff.

I don't expect the tanks will be refillable without re-certifying so I'm not concerned about that, but I would like to be able to use the gases. I wasn't sure about the age issue. I[ve forgotten the size but the tanks stand about 4' tall. Like Mr. Bigtiller I use it now and then, and over the past years it's been then, but now I have a use for it now.

Thanks
New hoses are a good idea but new regs maybe not. Were the regs backed off? In other words were the little tee handles loose? If not then the springs inside the regs might not be OK. The gauges should still be accurate, they just don't wear out sitting still. How were the cylinders stored? Have the bottoms been kept off of the ground? The bottoms can corrode if stored with the bottoms in contact with moisture. This would be the main danger with old cylinders. I have regulators that are over 30 years old and still work properly. I only use my oxy-acetylene setup about twice a year now but the gauges are still fine. I have had to replace the hoses though.
Eric

/ Old Acetylene - Safe?
Stored upright on Harbor Freight metal cart, indoor shop, unheated, in Deep South. Overall very good indoor environment. Low dust.

IIRC the set except tanks is from HF as well. Regulators are always stored purged and then backed out.

Little to no uv or other wx exposure. I need to have a better look at the hoses & tank’s bases.

I don’t use it often but like I suspect many of y’all lm glad I have it.

Last edited:
   / Old Acetylene - Safe? #16  
I do like some of the old classic equipment. Harris, Victor, etc. It will last a good long time. Potentially longer than buying "new" cheap Chinese stuff.

/ Old Acetylene - Safe? #17  
I do like some of the old classic equipment. Harris, Victor, etc. It will last a good long time. Potentially longer than buying "new" cheap Chinese stuff.
Also can be repaired or rebuilt...

I had some expensive Victor regulators serviced for little money...

Not sure how that would have gone with other brands.