Old age clouding my decision???

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #1  

Reg312

Tractor
JD 322 - AC 712 && 912 - Snapper ZTR
I've thrown a few post here for JD and Case CUT and sub CUT to get opinions. I think my age is getting in my way and I'm over thinking EVERYTHING and then double guessing myself.

I have 10 virgin acres at the lake. I'll be working only 4 of it.Already paid someone to do and initial brush cutting. Slope is mostly mild 5 degrees to maybe 30 degrees. Basic duties will be mostly brush cutting/ hogging the same area weekly, Post holes, Some loader work, mostly moving gravel and maybe attempting to push down a small tree. Maybe snow removal, but I have 2 smaller units that work well for that.

I've been looking at used 15 to 20 hp 4x4 tractors with loaders. Price at $8000 to $13000. But would a 2 wd 30 to 40 hp tractor work just as well? I remember when I was younger running my dads Case 8xx and 970 (i think) in the early 70's. Those tractors were big to me at that time and easily pulled 16' of cultivator. But it was FLAT ground.

Now throw into this a 2 wd 1970 ish IH Cub lo boy??? Lower HP but CHEAP.

I guess 2 wd - some kind of Dif lock may be a good idea??

Reason I'm asking these questions, I find it hard to shell out $10000 for a very minimal use tractor. A Lo Boy is so much cheaper if it would fit my needs.

So, let me know what you think!!!! I really like the Lo boy idea. OPPS - doesn't look like cubs have rear PTO.

Last edited:
   / Old age clouding my decision??? #2  
Try the "cheap". Work it right by adding some chains and arrange your work around the two wheel drive and all may work out.:D

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #3  
Obviously, 2-wheel drive tractors serve very well for some people and for some applications. It's hard to say whether you'd be happy with one or not. Generally speaking, a front end loader and 2-wheel drive just don't go together too well, except for TLBs (tractor/loader/backhoe) or really big tractors. The problem is that a load in the FEL makes the back end too light to get any traction both for going and for stopping. Substantial counterweights on the back end can overcome that to a limited degree.

/ Old age clouding my decision???
Thanks Ebon. Thats what I was kinda thinkin. Have chains on my little AC 712 and I've pushed and blown some big snow falls. My JD 322 with chains and homemade loader worked well on a similar slope to the lake property. Could use more weight in the rear but works well. I think PS would be important with 2WD and a loader.

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #5  
Reg,
Most small tractors have small wheels/tires and will give you a rough ride on your newly cleared 4 acres. If you've got no aches, pains, or arthritis, you may be able to take it OK, but it will slow down your bushhogging or whatever. Hard to control things when you're bouncing out of the seat. If you do have aches & pains, small tractors with small tires can be torture.

Old stuff is OK and sometimes very well built and 2WD will do a lot. But over the decades almost everything suffers abuse at the hands of someone. So the old tractors often come with "issues" like, weak brakes, chronic leaks, failing clutch, won't stay in gear, loose steering, bad head gasket, plugged radiator, etc., etc. If you're looking for a project and like wrench turning, these can work out well; but it'll take time...and some money.

Times being what they are, the money you have today could well be worthless next week. The big boys are in a panic for some reason. I'd say that, if you have the money, get something to show for it while you can. For your situation a 30 to 40 HP FWD with FEL and implements would probably serve well and not beat you up when you went to work it. If economic collapse follows, you'll have something to work the land with.

I'd start looking at the Kubota B7800 with HST as a minimum, with an L2800/3400 being about ideal. Even an L4400 wouldn't be too much. John Deere still makes the old school 790 and 990 gear tractors, last I heard, and a lot of fancier stuff as well. Many here swear by them. New Holland offers the TC30 and T1520 to cover the low 30HP range. All are good. You'll spend more than you've budgeted; but if you make some false starts and then take this path 2 or 3 years down the road, you'll spend considerably more.

I'm an old guy too and had big problems separating with the cash for the first Kubota I bought. Once I saw how useful and reliable it was, I realized I'd just spent the best money I'd ever spent. No more wrenching on things for half a day before starting the work that needed doing. Things I'd never have tackled before, seemed almost fun with good equipment. Since buying the first one, I've bought two more and have no regrets whatsoever. All three have their purpose.

At our age, we need reliable help when and where we need it. It's great when you can buy that kind of help "off the shelf".
FWIW
Bob

Hey Bob - Point Taken - I can wrench, but i do remember a ford 8n my boss had that needed wrenching of some sort to cut the grass. I would rather be playing on it that under it.

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #7  
Old age doesn't cloud your thinking. It gives you more experience to base your thinking upon. You've seen what can be (as well as what can't be) done.

I'm 61. Not quite ancient yet, but old enough to qualify as "old" to most.

Currently, I own just 45 hilly, rocky, partially wooded acres. Until 3 years ago, it was 188.

I buy and sell used tractors as a suppliment to my income AND as an excuse to play around with all sorts of tractors.

I own a commercial mowing business. Currently, I have 3 MFWD equipped tractors at my disposal. At one time, I owned another. It was too large for my needs at the time. I sold it after the realization it was simply tying up assets that could be used better elsewhere.

I've got a couple "older" tractors in good working order, and a couple more out behind the barn that are "family tractors" and awaiting restoration.

OK...

To take care of my 45 acres, I use ONE tractor. It's 37 years old. I've owned it since new. Without a doubt, it's in better condition than 99% of the 37 year old tractors you'll find, but, it's still 37 years old. I'd match it against ANY new tractor for reliability and economy of operation (relative to hp/size) . It's more than capable of doing anything I need. During the years I had the 188 acres (33 years total), with the exception of the years I owned the "too big" MFWD/110hp tractor, I used ONLY small to mid sized 2wd's on my land (in addition to some rented ground...approx 60 more acres) My loader tractor of choice was a smaller (3000 Ford) 2wd, gas tractor. (sold it when I found a good deal on a used skid steer) At times the 3 newer MFWD tractors are here, but they aren't used (or needed) to mantain my property.

MFWD/4wd is nice. It has some advatages. It has a distinct DISadvantage in cost if/when you stack the price of a NEW/near new MFWD unit against an older 2wd. "Older" less expensive 4wd's just don't exist. ("less expensive" in the same realm as a 30+ y.o. 2wd) With some thought and a bit of operator experience, a smaller 2wd will get the job done. Older tractors aren't always in need of constant repairs. Trick is, find a GOOD one. They're out there.

If budget restraints say "stay small" or "stay with cheap", or, if you're just like I am and don't see the point in spending money that doesn't need to be spent, you can still get the work done. BTDT, still have my "old tractor" to prove it.

Last edited:
   / Old age clouding my decision??? #8  
I think your best option, at around $10k, would be a used 4wd cut in the 20-30 hp range. The 4wd will be a big advantage for loader work, hills, and snow removal. A 5 ft, light-duty rotary cutter would be a good match to keep the 4 acres in check. A larger 2wd would let you run a 6 ft cutter , but 4 acres does not justify that, and the increased loader, hill, and snow removal ability would outway the small savings in cut time that the wider cutter provides. As for the cub lowboy without a pto, I cant see that as usefull for many of your tasks. Cubs are very durable, and easy to work on and get parts for. If you found one with a pto and a belly mower, it would work ok for keeping the 4 acres mowed weekly. I have a regular cub, with no pto, which I use for cultivating and light snowplowing and it does an excellent job at those tasks. I am currently looking for a cub with a pto and belly mower to use as a cultivating and plowing backup for my cub, and primarily to keep a couple acres mowed around my barns (I currently use a 6 ft light duty rotary mower behind a 43 hp, 4wd and it does not cut grass as neatly as I would prefer).

You got a small handful of years on me FWJunk. Think what I'll do is check out the next BEST DEAL. Set my price range I'm comfortable with and stick to it. I have noticed 30 - 40hp 2wd run just a little less $$$ than the 15 - 25 hp 4x4. I think this shaky economy is kinda pulling my strings right now. I need to go forward and get this Lake property ready for sale, but not including the price of the property, I have another 20 g's to invest before i even start building. There is a farmer down the road that I can borrow equipment from to get me started, but I HATE borrowing because I feel I must fix it if it breaks.

So if you happen to read this FWJunk. Since you've dealt many 2 wd brands over the years, got any opinions on well made tractors / models?? Ford. MF. Case. JD.Maybe your favorite. Gas - Diesel? Gas would be and easier starter in winter?? I guess it would be like and old car. Once you get it running good, probably only need general maintenance like anything else.

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #10  
You got a small handful of years on me FWJunk. Think what I'll do is check out the next BEST DEAL. Set my price range I'm comfortable with and stick to it. I have noticed 30 - 40hp 2wd run just a little less $$$ than the 15 - 25 hp 4x4. I think this shaky economy is kinda pulling my strings right now. I need to go forward and get this Lake property ready for sale, but not including the price of the property, I have another 20 g's to invest before i even start building. There is a farmer down the road that I can borrow equipment from to get me started, but I HATE borrowing because I feel I must fix it if it breaks.

So if you happen to read this FWJunk. Since you've dealt many 2 wd brands over the years, got any opinions on well made tractors / models?? Ford. MF. Case. JD.Maybe your favorite. Gas - Diesel? Gas would be and easier starter in winter?? I guess it would be like and old car. Once you get it running good, probably only need general maintenance like anything else.

I've got my opinions of what I believe werethe best tractors built in a given hp class and of a given era. But searching for a good buy an a good used tractor isn't as simple as picking a brand/model and going out to find one. You're somewhat at the mercy of "what's out there".

OK.... Here's my favorites. 35 to 45 hp range, MF135/150, 245, 250, Ford 3000/3600, John Deere 1530, 2040, or any of the early Deere/Yanmar's, IH 454, 484. 45 to 60 hp range, MF165, 255, Ford 4000/4600, IH 574, Deere 2030, 2240, 2440.

These were good tractors from day one. Now. Find one of those IN GOOD CONDITION, and AT A FAIR PRICE. You'll have a capable older 2wd that's going to hold a ecent resale value, parts are easy to find, if mechanical issues do arise, there's plenty of capable mechanics that know these tractors. They earned their reputation by being reliable, simple, basic hp.

While shopping, be aware and alert for a real bargain in other models. There's always a possibility that you can find a newer tractor at a great buy, use it for your project, then turn it around for a PROFIT at a later date. Be horse trader!

NOTHING like new. I can't argue with that. But ther's nothing like being able to hang on to a few of your hard earned bucks either.