Old age clouding my decision???

/ Old age clouding my decision???
FWJunk - Thanks again. I kinda thought MF would be at the top of your list. I like their looks.

What are your thoughts on AC? Have 2 in the area for $3000 or less. 1996 AC5040 - 2500 hr - diesel - PS - dif loc and a 1960's AC D15 - hours unknown - front tires worn - slips out of 3rd - but looks good for $2500.

My problem will be being lured by nice paint. I guess on diesels if it starts and runs good with no leaks it may be OK. Gas models look for smoke?

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #12  
I've thrown a few post here for JD and Case CUT and sub CUT to get opinions. I think my age is getting in my way and I'm over thinking EVERYTHING and then double guessing myself.

I have 10 virgin acres at the lake. I'll be working only 4 of it.Already paid someone to do and initial brush cutting. Slope is mostly mild 5 degrees to maybe 30 degrees. Basic duties will be mostly brush cutting/ hogging the same area weekly, Post holes, Some loader work, mostly moving gravel and maybe attempting to push down a small tree. Maybe snow removal, but I have 2 smaller units that work well for that.

I've been looking at used 15 to 20 hp 4x4 tractors with loaders. Price at $8000 to $13000. But would a 2 wd 30 to 40 hp tractor work just as well? I remember when I was younger running my dads Case 8xx and 970 (i think) in the early 70's. Those tractors were big to me at that time and easily pulled 16' of cultivator. But it was FLAT ground.

Now throw into this a 2 wd 1970 ish IH Cub lo boy??? Lower HP but CHEAP.

I guess 2 wd - some kind of Dif lock may be a good idea??

Reason I'm asking these questions, I find it hard to shell out $10000 for a very minimal use tractor. A Lo Boy is so much cheaper if it would fit my needs.

So, let me know what you think!!!! I really like the Lo boy idea. OPPS - doesn't look like cubs have rear PTO.

You can get a lot of work done with a 20hp 4x4 tractor with FEL on a place as small as yours. I have 10 acres of flat pasture land. My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, power steering, hydrostatic tranny) with the LA302 FEL (4 ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift). Price: $12,600 plus sales tax. I used 4-ft implements with this tractor (brush hog, box blade), a $300 used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller and a $140 KK subsoiler/middle buster combo. I mowed, toted tons of material, excavated for paver block walkways and a paver block patio, installed the landscaping around the new house. You should have no problem finding an equivalent used tractor in your price range.

DSCF0157Small-2.jpg

DSCF0157Small.jpg

DSCF0209Medium.jpg

I also have a nice 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny) that I bought in July06 for $3600. FWJ's advice was instrumental in my selecting this little gem. It's set up to squat low for work in the orchards around here. It's been thoroughly cleaned, rewired, and repainted. Engine, tranny and hydraulics are solid.

DSCF0016Small.jpg

My big tractor is a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, partial constant mesh tranny, power steering) with the ML250 FEl (6-ft bucket, 2960 lb lift). Traded the 7510HST as part of the deal since it served its purpose the 3 years I owned it. I plan to put 7 acres into hay and the 5525 will be the tractor to run the plows, discs and the baler.

DSCF0057Small.jpg

Old age--what's that? I'll be 67 next month. Tractoring's keeping me young.

Hey flusher - Old age really doesn't bother me. Its my **** OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING. I never used to be like that. Driving my wife crazy. But i actually enjoy doin that. My deal is its hard to pull $10,000 to $15,000 out of my pocket for a tractor I may not use all that often. Heck, I'ld love to have a 100 hour 25 HP 4x4 Kubota, Cub, JD etc. But hard to justify it. At the same time I like older classy looking machines. But doing some checking, these 2 wd 40hp with loader are also up there in price. But, I think I have some direction now. Kinda why I'm throwing this out there for opinions. See what works for y'all. Like i mentioned before, I have some time to look for a Great deal, whether its a small 4x4 or a 2wd. Both will work fine I believe.

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #14  
FWJunk - Thanks again. I kinda thought MF would be at the top of your list. I like their looks.

What are your thoughts on AC? Have 2 in the area for $3000 or less. 1996 AC5040 - 2500 hr - diesel - PS - dif loc and a 1960's AC D15 - hours unknown - front tires worn - slips out of 3rd - but looks good for $2500.

My problem will be being lured by nice paint. I guess on diesels if it starts and runs good with no leaks it may be OK. Gas models look for smoke?

No help on the 5040 AC. Should be a decent tractor though. Under 3 grand for a tractor that new, I'd investigate very carefully. Either a bargain or a scam..... or somewhere in between. D15's were popular in their day. I'd be very cautious about ANYtractor with tranny issues though. Can be simple or it can be a bottomless money pit.

FWJ - OPPS, the 5040 is a 1976. price sound better now?? I checked on tractorhouse and may be a little low, but I did see some lower.

/ Old age clouding my decision??? #16  
FWJ - OPPS, the 5040 is a 1976. price sound better now?? I checked on tractorhouse and may be a little low, but I did see some lower.

The Blue Book average used retail price for that AC 5040 ranges from $2300 to $2450. That's the dealer price for a clean tractor (everything working, no major leaks, reasonably straight sheet metal). I would shoot for $2000.