Old Barn to shop conversion

/ Old Barn to shop conversion
EddieWalker said:
schmism knows what he's talking about, so I'd follow his advice.

I am curious why you're not using preasure treated wood for your sill plates in the new construction?

Eddie

Eddie,
There is a double sill plate. The bottom plate is pressure treated sitting on a sill sealer bolted to the block wall every 4' +/-. The wall sections that we are standing up are not P.T. ...should both bottom plates be treated??? I hope not the garage/addition are pretty much done.

I think pole barn style is the way I am going to go.

/ Old Barn to shop conversion
fishpick said:
cny - since you live in NY - I'm assuming you have looking into the NY State Grants for repairing and restoring historic barns... based on your posted date - you should easily qualify for money. God knows we pay enough here in President Hillary's state... :(

fishpick,

What do you mean by "posted date"?

I have applied for a grant 3 or 4 times. I never really heard a thing from the state other than "sorry, you were not selected this year".

I guess I should keep trying. My barn is on a town road and visible from two state highways and one county road. Maybe I should seek help in writing a grant.

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #13  
cny said:
Eddie,
There is a double sill plate. The bottom plate is pressure treated sitting on a sill sealer bolted to the block wall every 4' +/-. The wall sections that we are standing up are not P.T. ...should both bottom plates be treated??? I hope not the garage/addition are pretty much done.

I think pole barn style is the way I am going to go.

You only need preasure treated wood where it comes into contact with concrete. I've never run two sill plates, so it not something I thought of when I saw your pictures. I figured that you had to cut the 2x6's in length to get an 8 foot wall with your top and bottom plates anyway, so another inch and a half isn't anything.

The only concern with going pole barn style is getting the poles deep enough for your area. Drill them deep and you'll have a very solid building!!!

Eddie

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #14  
cny said:
fishpick,

What do you mean by "posted date"?

What I mean - and what the joke I made was based on, was SUPPOSED to read...

"posted state" - as in the state you are from... in your post... but I blew it...

if it helps - I laughed when I posted it...