Old beever chipper belt tension

/ Old beever chipper belt tension #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
Not sure I should post this here or in the forestry/brushing section. Mods can move if needed, thanks.

I've got an old Beever chipper (now morbark) that I'm borrowing from a friend who got it 5 years ago on a trade for some equipment and hasn't even used it. I'm clearing a couple acres and have a mountain of brush to chip. It starts and runs great, but I haven't put any wood through it yet. My question is on the belt tension. It squeals the belts a bit when engaging the chipper, so I'm assuming probably would do the same when running bigger limbs through it. Looks to me like the adjustment is by moving the engine. But how tight should the belts be? Also, I'm assuming I should measure each adjuster to make sure both sides of the engine are moved the same amount so it's not at an angle?

Anyone know the model on this?

Thanks guys. Always appreciate the help around these forums.
IMG_20220428_074700880_HDR.jpg

/ Old beever chipper belt tension #2  
If you don't feather the clutch it will squeal, lots of flywheel weight to get moving. If you adjust the belt, take the guards off and use a straight edge to align the sheaves. The link will explain tension and span between pulleys.

https://www.ibtinc.com/how-to-tension-a-v-belt/

/ Old beever chipper belt tension