Old Bush Hog help

/ Old Bush Hog help #1  

LAD1DER

I've got a BushHog model 205. The gear lube is leaking out of the gear box. Does anyone know where I can find a repair manual posted on the internet. I want to see if this is a repair I can tackle myself.
Anyone have experience with this type of problem and care to talk about the remedy??
thanks.

/ Old Bush Hog help #2  
I noticed one for a 305 on Bush Hog's web site www.bushhog.com but did not see a listing for the 205. I would start with a local Bush Hog dealer.
Where is the lube leaking? If the lube is leaking out the output shaft (underneath the deck) I would say you have a bad seal. Those are fairly simple to replace once you get to them. You have to remove the blades and stump jumper to get to the shaft. I have replace bent output shafts in an afternoon with a minimum of tools and a little help for the "grunt work" and that requires taking the gearbox apart. And I do NOT consider myself a master mechanic.

/ Old Bush Hog help #3  
As hudr says, it probably is a seal (maybe a bearing) but I'd expect the replacement can just be measured and purchased at a bearing store.
Shouldn't be a major task, but a schematic of parts probably would be a place to start. Part numbers would help too.
Go for it.

/ Old Bush Hog help
It does appear the lube is leaking out of the bottom, I'm guessing a seal too. thanks for the advice. Is this all accessible once I take off the stump jumper, or will I have to remove the entire gearcase to access it? I'm going to visit the BushHog dealer tomorrow.
thanks.

/ Old Bush Hog help #5  
If I remember, it can be done from underneath the shredder. Of course, there are probably only 4 bolts holding the thing in place and it is easier w/ the unit out on a workbench. But for just a seal, I would probably try it w/o taking it off the deck.

/ Old Bush Hog help #6  
I found an exploded view of a 205R on the Bush Hog Site but I am having trouble attaching it.
Leo

Attachments

• 674496-Bush Hog 205R.jpg
    674496-Bush Hog 205R.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 773
   / Old Bush Hog help #7  
For the short term, You probably could put "00" (gungrease) in the gearbox and run for quite sometime--We find it fits our farm shop schedule better, to do these type repairs in the off season when it is cooler--Ken Sweet

/ Old Bush Hog help
I'm considering just hooking a chain to it, flipping it over and working on the topside.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Old Bush Hog help #9  
We and some of the other farmers growing up would just keep it full of Gun Grease also. Once you get it full....takes very little grease to keep it full. Just a few pumps prior to using. Grease wont come out [paste]like Gear lube [Liquid]. If you dont have a bearing that went bad and caused it to beat the seal out .....I would pack it full of grease and let it eat.

Ronald