Old continental gas engine identification and rear seal leak

/ Old continental gas engine identification and rear seal leak #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
I've acquired an old beever chipper powered by what a friend told me is a continental engine. Looks to me like it came off a tractor (the chipper engine was replaced at one point). I think some of the older Massey's had continentals??

First question, can anyone help me ID this engine? There's a number etched into the side of it - 493 333 9. Also a number cast into the block - A152

Secondly, it's dripping a lot of oil off the clutch bell-housing. I think it's the rear main seal. Anyone have any tips on doing this?
IMG_20220512_091417959_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_194828833_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
   / Old continental gas engine identification and rear seal leak #2  
There's a number etched into the side of it - 493 333 9.
By "etched" do you mean stamped? The serial number will be stamped into it someplace. The SN is frequently found stamped on a boss near the water pump in many engines.

/ Old continental gas engine identification and rear seal leak
By "etched" do you mean stamped? The serial number will be stamped into it someplace. The SN is frequently found stamped on a boss near the water pump in many engines.
Yes, stamped is the better word :) It's right near the oil filter at the bottom of the block. I'll have a look near the water pump.

Well we're making progress - on both the seal and the engine identification.

I pulled the flywheel, dropped the oil pan, and took the crank bearing off to get the seal out. The seal had several numbers on it. I took it to a couple of really good parts places but unfortunately all the numbers were extinct. So I went online and did some searching. I was able to cross-reference some numbers and narrow it down. Interestingly, most of the manufacturers for the seal were military/govt. And I finally located the seal from a military surplus supplier.

Evidently this is a common part for the M151 army jeeps. That gave me an idea for identifying the engine. I did some searching for the engine specs in the M151 jeeps. There were a few, but the common one seemed to be Hercules. The pictures of the M151 jeep engines looked like the engine I have. I found an article from Foley Engines which stated that "the Hercules G1600 serial number is a stamped-in number located near the dipstick. It is 7 digits in length beginning with 491, 490, or 493." My engine has a 7-digit number stamped near the dipstick beginning with 493. I think I found the engine!

I also discovered that this engine was used in White tractors, and I found a picture of one and the hood looks almost identical to what's around this engine.

So at this point as best I can figure this is a Hercules G1600 out of a White tractor.

On another note I've got the seal on order. Hopefully will fix my problem.

The seal was delivered today. Just wanted to get opinions on installing it. It's about 4" diameter and I don't have any seal installers or sockets big enough.

The seal is held in place by the crank bearing, so when I unbolted the bottom half of the crank bearing, the bottom half of the seal was loose and I pushed it out by hand. Would the reverse work for installing? If I push it in by hand and then bolt the crank bearing back on to compress it in place, do you think that would cause any issues with it sealing?

/ Old continental gas engine identification and rear seal leak #7  
What about a pvc pipe cap? Installed many a seal with some sort of pvc pipe. Or maybe an oil filter cup wrench. Good luck, dealing with one in a Case 1830 Skidsteer. Glad it's not mine, I'd drop a small diesel in it!

What about a pvc pipe cap? Installed many a seal with some sort of pvc pipe. Or maybe an oil filter cup wrench. Good luck, dealing with one in a Case 1830 Skidsteer. Glad it's not mine, I'd drop a small diesel in it!
That's a good idea. I'll look around and see what I've got. Yeah I actually have thought of putting a diesel on this...might do so if I find one cheap enough.