old craftsman saw

/ old craftsman saw #1  

zombie

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3500 industrial
So I wasn't sure where to post this at, but here goes. I have an old craftsman "electric hand saw" (6.5" circular saw) that I need a trigger switch for. I have already pulled apart the old one and tried to repair it. It worked for a couple used and then quit on me again. I'm having trouble locating a switch though. I contacted sears and they were all set to sell me a switch, but it was for a stationary piece of equipment and is on or off, not momentary. Wondering if anyone has any resources for such a thing? The model is 336.27963 As far as I can tell it was made by electrolux, but can't find anything from them about it. :confused:

/ old craftsman saw #2  
Not sure if you looking to restore a collectible or just want to get your old clunker to work. I see these p/n saws on eBay for $20 to $40. You might find somebody just selling a junker for parts. At Homedepot.com you can get a new Ryobi or Skil for under $40 and a reconditioned one for under $30. Otherwise I think you are into a serious hunt for a switch only. Good luck.

/ old craftsman saw
It was my grandfather's saw and I enjoy using it. At least when I can get it to work. I haven't given into getting a new one yet. It's the only one I have right now. I know in the world today it's silly to use, but it's sentimental to me. I still use the all metal jigsaw too. Luckily it's trigger works fine. I still run his old stihl 045, still use his tools both at home and at work. Even if I can't find a switch, I wouldn't be able to let go of it.

/ old craftsman saw #4  
You don't have to let go of it. Maybe put it up on a shelf where you can look at it from time to time.
As stated, you can get a newer saw, brand new or used, from various sources, including some very nice refurbished saws/tools, either online or in a store. I have a bunch of I don't want to throw away old tools too, I know the feeling.
How much for the 045?

/ old craftsman saw
Yep. Just a last attempt at finding a repair part before I get a replacement saw. Had to put it out there ya know. Laying around with a sprained ankle gives me time to think about projects. And check the board every half hour. Haha.
That 045 is good running saw. Found a fuel tank for it, pop had dropped it and put a hole in it. Sat for years before I got it. I don't have to run it too often, has a 28" bar on it. But it's a workhorse. Needless to kindly say not for sale.

/ old craftsman saw #6  
Well, no harm in asking- thought I might be able to add it to my collection of Stihls, see my signature.
If you change your mind let me know. Good luck with the ankle, been there.....

/ old craftsman saw
I'll have to get on the computer and see. My phone won't show your signature.
Thanks, ankle is doing decent. Hard to stay off of it. I'm used to always working. Sprained the left one last year but it was much worse than it is this time

/ old craftsman saw #8  
Here's a hint: I currently have 7 Stihls. I'm a retired pro tree surgeon/climber from way back, when all the Stihls were made in Germany.:thumbsup:

/ old craftsman saw #9  
Yep. Just a last attempt at finding a repair part before I get a replacement saw. Had to put it out there ya know. Laying around with a sprained ankle gives me time to think about projects. And check the board every half hour. Haha.
That 045 is good running saw. Found a fuel tank for it, pop had dropped it and put a hole in it. Sat for years before I got it. I don't have to run it too often, has a 28" bar on it. But it's a workhorse. Needless to kindly say not for sale.
I understand... I am wrestling with my dad's 10in radial arm saw, circa 1963. I haven't used it in at least 10years but I can't part with it. The sad thing is I don't have the space for it but somehow it survives!

/ old craftsman saw
That's a nice collection of saws coyote. One or two for every size lol. I just picked up a midsize mcculloch but can't remember what size it is. I think it has a 16" bar on it. I need to put a carb kit in it. I already had a small poulan 2000 with a 10" for limbing. I also have an old homelite xl that I need to put a carb kit in. I have the kit, just haven't found the time. It's got about the same size bar as the 045. And as sad as it is to admit, there's an electric mcculloch. Sure is easy to start though!!

Dragon: seems like I just came across an article about using those radial arm saws, something about different attachments and some guys can't live without them. I can't remember where I saw it though. I'm not good at woodwork and I fully admit it. I can cut a straighter line with a chainsaw than a circular saw.