Old engine oil requirements

/ Old engine oil requirements #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
We have a 1997 Honda ATV 300 4x4 we use on our farm everyday, twice a day, to feed our horses. The engine is original, never rebuilt. I run dino 10w-30 in it but think it may benefit from a heavier oil as I have been told has been done on older motors- some folks going from a 10-30 to straight 30. Is there any truth to this and if so, would running Rotella 15-40 be an acceptable replacement eventhough it is sold primarily for diesel engines?

/ Old engine oil requirements #2  
We have a 1997 Honda ATV 300 4x4 we use on our farm everyday, twice a day, to feed our horses. The engine is original, never rebuilt. I run dino 10w-30 in it but think it may benefit from a heavier oil as I have been told has been done on older motors- some folks going from a 10-30 to straight 30. Is there any truth to this and if so, would running Rotella 15-40 be an acceptable replacement eventhough it is sold primarily for diesel engines?

I would not run anything but what Honda recommends. I think using a heavier oil on older high use engines increases wear. I think the thinner oil is needed to properly lubricate the engines, even if it consumes some. Just my $0.02

/ Old engine oil requirements #3  
Why switch now? Run what it's always used. Diesel oil isn't going to help, it's formulated for DIESEL use.

/ Old engine oil requirements #4  
I wouldn't call any engine built in 1997 (old):D.
If it still runs fine and isn't using oil why switch? although I do believe that for engines with hydraulic /solid - non roller cams running a diesel engine oil with a higher sacrificial metal -such as zinc can sometimes increase the longevity of cam lobes and lifters. I do run 15-40 diesel rated oil in my (old) -pre 1976 muscle car engines and in my 1978 Kawasaki Z1000 street bike.

/ Old engine oil requirements #5  
If it specifies 10w30, a 5w30 or 0w30 would be better, as these will provide lubrication quicker on startup. They specified 10w30 then likely because not much 0w30 or 5w30 was available.

A 1997 engine certainly is not very old. I ran a 1983 240D into its 26th year before I finally gave up on Benz giving us another stick shift diesel. I'd converted it to 0w30 synthetic, and it was back up to 30-31 mpg. Got a new stick shift diesel that does 40-41 on average and 49 on the highway in flat country.

Ralph

/ Old engine oil requirements #7  
Same vote here..... stay with Honda's recommended viscosity grades.

Some guys will go with a dual rated Fleet oil, for the convenience of using just one oil across all of their equipment. In the Rotella world, if I was going that route, it would be T6 5W40. Has most of the modern N. American diesel ratings, and is presently rated SM for gas.

http://s02.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell-new/local/business/rotella/downloads/pdf/rotella-t6-brochure.pdf

In our cold up here, I won't use straight 30W in anything I need to run in the Winter.

Rgds, D.

/ Old engine oil requirements
If it specifies 10w30, a 5w30 or 0w30 would be better, as these will provide lubrication quicker on startup. They specified 10w30 then likely because not much 0w30 or 5w30 was available.

A 1997 engine certainly is not very old. I ran a 1983 240D into its 26th year before I finally gave up on Benz giving us another stick shift diesel. I'd converted it to 0w30 synthetic, and it was back up to 30-31 mpg. Got a new stick shift diesel that does 40-41 on average and 49 on the highway in flat country.

Ralph

What I was getting at by old was a lot of use, not so much age. I change it 3x a year, January, June and December. I do some engine building and such for my bracket race Chevelle and other friends cars, nothing special just 400-450hp small blocks mainly. Oil has always baffled me some-I use a break in oil on all engines with high zinc levels for cam break in, especially solid cams. Then I switch to Royal Purple after break in. Being around cars and motors my whole life, I have heard a lot of advice, one being run a heavier oil in an engine showing a little wear. The engine on the Honda does not smoke and runs ok, power is down a little but hey, it's 17 years old and never been rebuilt. I have to be cautious though b/c the engine oil lubricates the trans also, so thicker may not be better. Just not sure.

/ Old engine oil requirements #9  
What I was getting at by old was a lot of use, not so much age. I change it 3x a year, January, June and December. I do some engine building and such for my bracket race Chevelle and other friends cars, nothing special just 400-450hp small blocks mainly. Oil has always baffled me some-I use a break in oil on all engines with high zinc levels for cam break in, especially solid cams. Then I switch to Royal Purple after break in. Being around cars and motors my whole life, I have heard a lot of advice, one being run a heavier oil in an engine showing a little wear. The engine on the Honda does not smoke and runs ok, power is down a little but hey, it's 17 years old and never been rebuilt. I have to be cautious though b/c the engine oil lubricates the trans also, so thicker may not be better. Just not sure.

I work on motorcycles, but no ATVs so far..... keep that in mind when I ask - Wet Clutch on your Honda ?

If your plugs and wires are new, try a dose of Seafoam in your gasoline.

Rgds, D.

/ Old engine oil requirements #10  
I have been reading this post with great interest.
Decided to go to API's website and found some interesting information on oil service classifications.

The surprising find was my BX2200 (2003) calls for CD or CC. API list those as obsolete and not suitable for engines manufactured after 1990 or 1994.

See below.

DIESEL ENGINES (Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on oil performance levels)
Category Status Service
CJ-4 Current For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad
exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties,
oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4
with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories.
When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.
CI-4 Current Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented
in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are
intended for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4,
CG-4, and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.
CH-4 Current Introduced in 1998. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils
are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place
of CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4 oils.
CG-4 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1995. For severe duty, high-speed, four-stroke engines using fuel with less than 0.5% weight
sulfur. CG-4 oils are required for engines meeting 1994 emission standards. Can be used in place of CD, CE,
and CF-4 oils.
CF-4 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1990. For high-speed, four-stroke, naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines. Can be used
in place of CD and CE oils.
CF-2 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1994. For severe duty, two-stroke-cycle engines. Can be used in place of CD-II oils.
CF Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with
over 0.5% weight sulfur. Can be used in place of CD oils.
CE Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CD-II Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CD Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CC Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1990.
CB Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1961.
CA Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1959.