Old Farm Hoes: Gas vs. Diesel

/ Old Farm Hoes: Gas vs. Diesel
Hey farmhand, ou hve a PM.

/ Old Farm Hoes: Gas vs. Diesel #22  
I work with someone that had a JD410 for maybe 15 years, and they had pretty good luck with it. They traded it in for a newer JD. The hour meter was broken, and I bet it had quite a few hours on it. It was probably 80-90% used up, but that last little bit of life out of that machine might be great for someone like you. It was also an extenda hoe, so that sucker would dig deep. I bet it sold for less than $8000 after they traded it in, but the dealer was asking $10,000.

One thing that kills you is maintance, I know they put tires on it, and that was pretty big dollars, so make sure you look at stuff like that.

/ Old Farm Hoes: Gas vs. Diesel #23  
I know this is a old thread but since its exactly what I was going to ask I was hoping we could continue. I have been searching all over in my area and beyond for a old TLB, both gas and diesel. I have a little over 4 acres and much of it either needs to be cleared or shaped so I would have lots of projects for a old TLB. I am very familiar with both gas and diesel engines so neither is a problem for me but a diesel would simplify my fuel supply needs. I have run into some Ford Industrial #3000, 3500 and 4000 units in both gas and diesel and two International 3414's one gas and the other a diesel. The 2nd page of this thread covers in very nice detail what to look for when testing and thank you for that because there were some things I would have not done and could end up costing me. The international 3414 gas unit seems to be in better shape and actually owned a longer period of time then the cousin diesel unit so the owner has done some work to it while owning it. The ford 3500 I think is a 3cyl diesel unit and looks to be in pretty good shape with a new water pump and battery, the unit was owned by the mans brother who passed away and since he has a newer Hoe he doesn't need two. I have searched the internet and beyond trying to find specs to match up against these two units and what would work better for a homestead and plowing out the neighbors in my area. Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

Mike

/ Old Farm Hoes: Gas vs. Diesel #24  
There is also a Case 580CK that supposedly has two new rear tires, diesel and is in good working order for the same price but not pictures to get any idea of shape. I have not seen any of these units up close bu will be going on a road trip to check them out this weekend I hope or maybe sooner.