Buying Advice Old Ford or fresh and new.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #41  
That is the way most threads go. Some people who asked your question might want to know those answers.

Heh, and here I thought this was a discussion forum.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #42  
Right. The newer tractors may be of decent quality but the current race by manufacturers to upstage one another ends up with excessive model replacement. Add that to the number of manufacturers out there today, the various countries they come from and no way will parts be available on these newer tractors 57 years from now as well as the parts for most of the 57 year old Fords, Masseys, Cases, Deeres, etc are available today. You can readily get parts for that old Ford the OP is looking at. Does anyone believe 57 years from now you can get any part you need for this year's model of today's brand X tractor from Country Z? I don't. Old iron rules.

yep.. materials ( plastics won;t hold up like metal has for 50-70 years ).

not to mention short runs.. low number of unit sales and 10ys parts availability.

you can still buy parts for a 1939 9N... helps when you get units with near a million sold...

/ Old Ford or fresh and new.
Bought the ford just last week very happy so far, just need to acquire some implements now, thanks everybody for your imput.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #44  
Congrats on the 'new' tractor. But you know the rules around here. Without pictures, it didn't happen. And you can update your profile now.

Larro

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #45  
I think you will be very happy with the 2WD Ford without FEL. I farmed with my Dad for 25 years and we never had a FEL OR 4 WD tractors as they were not available back then (just beginning to have the 4 WD articulated in production when I married and left the farm). The old saying, " You never miss what you never had" if very true. We did everything needed to be done with rear attachment implements. We had 2 large AG tractor (2 WD-one with dual rear tires), a large 3 PH blade for ditching and grading, boom pole for lifting, post hole digger for fencing, we borrowed a 5 yard scraper bucket for dirt moving once (it moved a heck of a lot more dirt per scoop than any FEL), drag type disc, chisel plows, cultivators and planters, fertilizer distributor and a bush hog for pasture mowing. That was all we needed back then.

Now I am retired, bad back etc so I don't do any lifting. I have 4 WD tractors both with FEL AND they do get better traction without need for dual tires. I recently bought a small CUT (Kubota B26 TLB) with a backhoe and use it almost exclusively for my chores. I only use the 70HP LS P7010 for mowing and disking. I never had a back hoe before and never missed it, but now I couldn't do without it. I dig up rocks, stumps, trees, move dirt and rocks, lift things with the backhoe that has hydraulic thumb rather than using my back.

New is nice to have if you can afford it for sure and 2 tractors are much better than one so you can keep 2 implements available at all times and not have to constantly hook and unhook.
Keep your 3000 FORD and when you are ready to buy new, then you can get a 4 WD with FEL and maybe a backhoe (only if you have a consistent need for one) and be able to do just about anything that comes up around your place.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #46  
You will do just fine with a tractor like the 3000. My father in law has one that does hay field duty every summer. Recently having some rusty fuel tank/contaminated fuel issues but thoes things happen. Good luck with yours, it should serve you well.

My dad's mf 135 is very similar to your 3000. We have a loader for it but rarely use it due to it being too much front weight. But otherwise it has done fine by me in the 30 years I have used/abused it, brush hogging, maintaining dad's 1 mile gravel lane, cutting and bailing 200-300 square bales each summer. Only has about 2200 hrs. I think its been to the dealer twice in the 36 years we have had it.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #47  
post up some pics!