Old fuel.....

/ Old fuel..... #21  
Ever heard of stepping over a dollar to save a dime?

or stepping over both, tripping and loosing all the money in your pocket because you missed science class in high school? that one's the worst. ;)

/ Old fuel..... #22  
Gas is good for roughly 6 weeks. If you add stabilizer, it should be OK for 2-3 months. That's it.

That is simply not true. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

/ Old fuel..... #23  
thought about the off the shelf stuff, did not know that it would work in this case. Also if its ethonol you end up with a good bit of water absorbed into the fuel.

/ Old fuel..... #24  
thought about the off the shelf stuff, did not know that it would work in this case. Also if its ethonol you end up with a good bit of water absorbed into the fuel.

i havn't read the bottle of the off the shelf oct boosters. not sure what they are adding. in general. adding alcohol or some oils to the mix will boost it.

you are correct that if the fuel was an ethanol based fuel.. it is likely saturated. Hopefully his marina sold non ethanol fuel. ours does..

if it was an ethanol based fuel.. I'd surely be adding alcohol to it for the octane boost and to make sure it dewattered. if using it as mix and only here and there.. might just add the oct boost / mods to it as used. otherwise you have drums of the stuff just setting.

too bad they weren't sealed 55g drums. might be ok then... by now it's probbaly mostly zippo fuel and water.. :)

/ Old fuel..... #25  
That is simply not true. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Actually, it's simply TRUE. Ethanol gas turns to pee after a couple of months, even with blue Stabil in it. Been there, done that, still doing it.

/ Old fuel..... #26  
Actually, it's simply TRUE. Ethanol gas turns to pee after a couple of months, even with blue Stabil in it. Been there, done that, still doing it.

So you are saying that 10% ethanol won't burn after a couple of months? Or are you saying that pee is flammable? Better watch taking a leak on the fire to put it out next time!

I have gas that sits around for several months, and it has no trouble at all burning in any of my off-road engines. My cars don't have gas in them that long, but my ATV's, pressure washer, tiller, weed eater, leaf blower, etc. all do. It's not good for them, but it still burns.

/ Old fuel..... #27  
Alcohol does not de-water fuel, it simply helps disperse it so that it can burn a hole in the piston, burn valve seats, and reduce lubricity in the chamber. That's why I'm leary of any mechanics who say "sure, its alright, just dump a little alcohol in there and fire it up."

/ Old fuel..... #28  

Maybe it's geographical problem. Every year, I will have at least two 5 gallon jugs left over after mowing season. Using Stabil, I have zero problems burning that in the mowers after sitting for up to 5 months the following spring. Heck, the gas in my boat is from last summer, again with a healthy dose of Stabil, but it was marina gas without ethanol.

I just don't experience what you are claiming.

/ Old fuel..... #29  
... Using Stabil, I have zero problems burning that in the mowers after sitting for up to 5 months the following spring. Heck, the gas in my boat is from last summer, again with a healthy dose of Stabil, but it was marina gas without ethanol.

I don't doubt what you are saying with regard to ignition, but do you know for a fact that it is not accelerating the wear in the combustion chamber?

/ Old fuel..... #30  
Maybe it's geographical problem. Every year, I will have at least two 5 gallon jugs left over after mowing season. Using Stabil, I have zero problems burning that in the mowers after sitting for up to 5 months the following spring. Heck, the gas in my boat is from last summer, again with a healthy dose of Stabil, but it was marina gas without ethanol.

I have the same experiences as you. No real problem. Also in mixed gas i noticed that the small echo or stilh brand oil containers say they already have a stabilizer in it.