Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing?

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #21  
Well it'll be fun either way. Always good to get the jeep at a very low cost. As usual the expensive parts are engine, tranny, and the diffs. As you can't tell :D from my old jeep I put my money into things you can't see. :)

I also had a hook to hang the driveshaft on when I disconnected it for towing, unlocked the hubs and I would tow it 70mph during the day.

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #22  
Putting the blazer discs on the jeep axle is a real problem. Better to find a late cj/yj axle or at least brakes. Pretty much a bolt up deal. The wide blazer axle might look alittle goofy too. Really the stock mb axle would be fine and you can bolt some 10"/11" brakes from most any later jeep on the axle.:cool:

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #23  
wushaw said:
Eddie that 2.8 was not one of GM's better ideas. I hope the rear main seal has been updated which required a different crankshaft and seal style. The carburetor was not too bad although the accelerator jet cloggs easily but easy to fix.

As you well know you can make this project work with a welder and a cutting torch:)

I had a 2.8l V6 in my 1983 S-10 P/U and the mechanic who serviced it regularly (maintenance and repairs) was amazed that I got 101,000 miles out of the engine before it blew up. Most puked around 40,000 to 60,000 miles.

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #24  
The 2.8 was also used in the Cherokee before the 4.0 straight 6 came out. A friend had one and put over 200,000 on it. For your use it should last a long time.

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing?
For half a year my son has been asking me about the jeep and when are we going to work on it again. He really enjoys wrenching and taking things apart. Today, it was too muddy to move dirt or really do anything else, so we got back on the jeep project.

It took some prep work, but fairly qickly, we had the frame in the shop and up on blocks. Then I showed him how to use the impact wrench and gave him the half inch sockets. I told him to take off anythng and everything that he could!!! I don't know if this is true with all 7 year olds, but this one just loves to take things apart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

Attachments

• Frame in my shop.jpg
    Frame in my shop.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 300
  • Peyton pulling off the wheels.jpg
    Peyton pulling off the wheels.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Peyton taking apart the front axle.jpg
    Peyton taking apart the front axle.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 302
   / Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #26  
SIR,
i see you have him wearing a hard hat.
PLEASE, get that young man a pair of
safety glasses!
good luck with your project.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #27  
now you have to have it running and out of there before the next get together!!!

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #28  
Me, I would of turned the jeep into a log skidder. They make great ones with a boom out back and a 12 ton winch bolted to cross frames. Big tires with chains, paint it up. It'd be bootiful

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #29  
Eddie, My "Jeep" was a 1943 Ford variant, probably indistinguishable from yours. I paid $600 in pretty decent running condition in about 1969. Back then there were oodles of part available. I got a transfer case in the cosmoline for $75 and a carb for $6. Had lots of fun but it was a tad boring on a long drive like from San Diego to the Chocolate Mountains since it had 5.38 diffs which were great off road but kinda slow on the freeway.

I think first I would investigate the possibility of overhauling the 4 banger or replacing it with same and just making a more or less stock Jeep out of it unless parts are really very difficult to come by. If you got it running OK you shouldn't need much maint. Mine just ran and ran and ran off road and on. The replacement xfer case was because someone had built DIY gears for it and they failed.

I think there is absolutely no comparison between a chopped up Blazer and a mostly authentic RAT PATROL Jeep. The Jeep is definitely the way to go, even if you repower it. If you don't overdo it the Jeep will handle a larger engine. There used to be adapters for all sorts of engine swaps for jeeps. I have seen several with 283 Chevy V-8 power but they often fail the durability test. If you don't go crazy over powering it (and putting too much weight on the front) you could have a fun machine for years and years.

My '43 had separate seats up[ front and a small bench seat for two in the back. I put a roll bar system on it and a cloth top with incrementally removable Dutch doors. I left mine with stock 6 volt generator but it is simpleto change to 12 volt alternator and change out A L L the lights except maybe the dash lights (if you have any) as they can be controlled by putting a resister in series with them to keep from burning them out.

Do you have the double adjustable headlights mounts with butterfly nuts, the ones you can turn around and shine into the engine compartment? There used to be 12 volt bulbs available as replacements.

Pat

Pat

/ Old Jeep, new parts, what am I doing? #30  
Eddie: That frame looks pretty good compared to what we see on vehicles up here in New England..I've seen em so rusted I could twist a chunk off with my hand..

Up here we'll go to the midwest to get old cars/trucks because after a few decades of humid summers and wet winters..well you get the picture..not so much rust as dust..