Planters Old John Deere Planters

/ Old John Deere Planters #11  
My 2 row JD #246 has the extra gears and I believe you are right. My manual has a chart for the selection of the gears to determine spacing, the gears slide on the Jackshaft.

That's how my A/C 600, and 2 row #6 Lister work, too. After looking a little, this one looks pretty close with the disc cover wheels and planting depth levers. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC0428.PDF Could have been "farmerized" from the original unit. I like those old planters, way cool! Mark

/ Old John Deere Planters
Would a larger sproket on the wheel part of the planter not speed up the planter?? Smaller would slow it down at the same said speed. Does the sproket not go on the drive wheel?? Does it go up on the planter drive up under the pods? I understand it slowing it down if that part was larger. I guess I'm confused on where the extra sprokets go. Thanks guys!! This is great!! There are SOO many tractor sites and this is the first that I've even gotten a reply on...not to mention some great information!! I plan to restore them but they will be working models...so right now its more improtant to me to get them in working order...which they are. I do need to put new springs in the lever that lets the seed drop. They work but I think the psi is wrong as they are pretty rusted..other than that they are ready for the correct plates. I'll take some newer pictures of them since I've gotten them cleaned up and dents smoothed out of the pods. Fixed the broken chain also....WOW...those chains are easy to fix...should've kept that design! lol

/ Old John Deere Planters
Okay...the sprockets can go either on the drive wheel or hopper...actually gives me more flexibilty with planter speed. Thanks guys for all your help! I actually think it looks ALOT like the 480 in the link you guys sent. I printed it and some of the part numbers do not match up...and there are differences. I do not have the double sprockets...my lids do not have rivets in them...the press wheel has the handle that adjusts the pressure and or depth. But the planters look VERY similar. Looked at the cap cutoff plate and the part number in the link is Y 2597 B and the part number on mine is Y 12587 B...So I'm guessing mine may be a later model....maybe late 50's or early 60's??

I have also seen in the parts list there is a pea planter attachment...WOW...wish I could find that!! Has a different hopper and seed plate....has a ring and gear on the plate also. Oh well...hopefully I can get this to work for us! :eek:

/ Old John Deere Planters #14  
what you have pictured are john deere #44 unit planters

/ Old John Deere Planters #15  
I do not think they are 44 units. 44 units drive from the right side as did the 51. These are predessors of the 44. I think the designation was 444 for 4 row, 684 for 6 row. I am not sure about this. Most parts will interchange. The we're pulled from a pipe mounted under the belly of tractor. A "tongue" was attached attached to the pipe back to the planter. They were lifted by the hydraulic rocks haft on the tractor. The wings are row sweeps. We called them clodknockers. The assisted in a good seed bed. We used them a lot in dry conditions. They would move the drier topsoil to the side and allow you to plant in moist dirt without planting too deep. You can buy any plate except sunflower and milo from the hated ebay.

/ Old John Deere Planters #16  
Looks similar to my PA700.

Attachments

• IMG_3520.JPG
    IMG_3520.JPG
    887.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 124
   / Old John Deere Planters #17  
Those planters definitely mount to a tool bar. My JD cultivator has the same setup that attaches with U-bolts. As for the "V" in front of it I can only presume that is a version of a trash kicker to clean the rows before dropping the seed.

If I had to guess to guess it I would say that with the V trash kicker and the dual covering disc before the press wheel is that it is an early version of a minimal till planter that was designed to plant into old bean stubble.