Old oil trick

/ Old oil trick #41  
I have an 8-N that is great looker, nice everything. But when she gets good and warmed up while mowing, the oil pressure drops from 60 lbs when cold, to about 20 to 25 lbs when hot. It does not smoke or knock or act any different, just low oil pressre. This is the case with 30 grade, or even 15W/40. I got a few cases of Chevron Supreme 20w/50 at a super bargain awhile back, and am pleased. My oil pressure stays around 35 to 38 lbs on the gauge when red hot, and the tractor works like a dog---sounding good. If you start up in 20 below zero weather, you need to warm up and go easy awhile, 20-50 is thick stuff. Try it, I think it's possible for your troubles to ease up with 20-50.

i

/ Old oil trick #42  
Remember when Castor Syntech first hit the market? The TV ads showed a bank of engines running with Syntech and as the engines were running the oil was drained. The engines continued to run unharmed only liberated by the oil film coating the bearings. This would simulate the loss of oil or oil pressure to show that in that case the engine was still protected. When was the last time that ad was on TV? Syntech is no longer synthetic oil, now it is highly refined dino oil allowed to be called synthetic.
Would I run with the engine dry? No! Would I rely on that so called added protection now? No!
The bean counters have to spoil a good thing?

/ Old oil trick #43  
hmm 60 cold.. something ain't right.

oil relief should be somewhere around 45psi.

first thing I'd do is change the OP gauge. old gauge can be inacurate.. you might be getting 30-5 psi and not know it.

also.. IF you have 20 psi HOT oil pressure at idle.. you have pretty much bragging rights. I know N's that have 6 psi hot and still plow all day.

lastly.. if you change the OP gauge and still have 60 cold on 30w in moderate climates.. I'd replace the oil relief valve spring with a new one.. someone has stretched yours...

past that.. I bet a few dozen bucks of rings and main / rod bearing shells, and a pan and head gasket would buy you 5-10 psi oil pressure..

soundguy

I have an 8-N that is great looker, nice everything. But when she gets good and warmed up while mowing, the oil pressure drops from 60 lbs when cold, to about 20 to 25 lbs when hot. It does not smoke or knock or act any different, just low oil pressre. This is the case with 30 grade, or even 15W/40. I got a few cases of Chevron Supreme 20w/50 at a super bargain awhile back, and am pleased. My oil pressure stays around 35 to 38 lbs on the gauge when red hot, and the tractor works like a dog---sounding good. If you start up in 20 below zero weather, you need to warm up and go easy awhile, 20-50 is thick stuff. Try it, I think it's possible for your troubles to ease up with 20-50.

i

/ Old oil trick #44  
I bet you find at room temp 20w50 is thinner than straight 30w

soundguy

If you start up in 20 below zero weather, you need to warm up and go easy awhile, 20-50 is thick stuff. Try it, I think it's possible for your troubles to ease up with 20-50.i

/ Old oil trick #45  
I switched to 15w50 Mobil 1 in my Gravely, about 1960ish.

By the 3rd oil change, it had stopped using oil & no blue smoke on cold startup. I could have probably then gone to a lighter weight (like 0w30 I use in almost everything now), but I sold it a few hours into that 3rd oil change on synthetic.

Ralph