Old oil trick

/ Old oil trick #31  
Yeah,I believe theres something to that,that was my reason to go with 10w30 in my toyota anyways[it calls for a lighter oil,5w30 maybe,but started using 10w30 at about 90,000 miles,that was many miles ago.

40 weight in winter might be on thick side though...

Use 10w-40 if you want once the oil is warm its 40 weight , it dosent matter if its 40 degrees or 80 degrees it will just warm up quicker. 10w-30 and 10w-40 at cold temps are both 10 weight.

Also i dont really understand the 5w-30 and 10w-30 swap, once warm they are both 30 weight? It is just when cold one is 5w and the other is 10w, i guess it would stop oil use when cold till things warmed and expanded.

/ Old oil trick #32  
In an older engine with aging tolerances the residual 10W would keep the rod bearings off the crank a bit better than 5W would while the oil pressure is coming up after initial cold start up .

/ Old oil trick #33  
I know very little about oil,,just seemed the thing to do:laughing: But,it seems to me like right out of the bottlle 5w is thinner than 10w?[havn't checked lately,but seems like I did]

/ Old oil trick #34  
5W IS thinner out of the bottle than 10W . Multi grade oils have Polymers added to the mix . A polymer is coiled up when cold (the oil is thin) , when the oil heats up the Polymer coils unwind and straighten out (the oil gets thick) .

Last edited:
   / Old oil trick #35  
5W IS thinner out of the bottle than 10W . Multi grade oils have Polymers added to the mix . A polymer is coiled up when cold (the oil is thin) , when the oil heats up the Polymer coils unwind and straighten out (the oil gets thick) .

Not quite. The first number is measured cold, the second number is measured hot. No motor oil gets thicker as it heats up. Even 10w30 thins out when it warms. The difference is that it doesn't get AS THIN as a 10w oil would, it only gets as thin as a straight 30w oil would be when hot.

/ Old oil trick #36  
that's steam.. not smoke :)

a steamy engine is quite a different ordeal than an oil pumper or a rich burner..

soundguy

Allright you got me on that one, white smoke{oops I mean steam} still indicates a problem. :)

/ Old oil trick #38  
That was my reasoning,,it seemed thinner,,too thin really,,course I know new motors are different,,[kinda],,but,thicker is thicker,,rings wear,,etc,,,that was my reasoning,,,but ...

/ Old oil trick #39  
You need to get some lead replacer to put in the gas. We have to do that on our 8N and Oliver 550, as well as some older two ton trucks. That 8N was made for leaded gas, and it will run a lot better with that lead replacer in it.

now that's a lod of processed horse and cow food if I ever saw one!!!

N's had hard exhaust valve seats from the factory!!!

TEL is a sprak knock addative ( read: octane enhance for when gas had WAY low octane!!!! )

soundguy

/ Old oil trick #40  
That was my reasoning,,it seemed thinner,,too thin really,,course I know new motors are different,,[kinda],,but,thicker is thicker,,rings wear,,etc,,,that was my reasoning,,,but ...

hmm.. lotsa comma's ,,,,,,,,,

you wouldn't know a guy named 'thingy' would you?

:)

soundguy