Old Rivals - Typical vs. Non-Typical

/ Old Rivals - Typical vs. Non-Typical #1  

mtsman

Bronze Member
Tractor
F16D, F22D
CAn't remember if I posted this before but I think its interesting. I believe its meaning is something about "rivals". Although its tough to tell in the pic, the left side is a typical rack whitetail and some type of gas JD (might say 630 on the side of the front grill). The right tractor has "diesel" painted on the side (although you can't see it) and has the non-typical buck is next to it. Seem to be renditions of very old JD's. Truck is located near Altoona, PA. Any ideas what JD's those look like?

Attachments

• 289015-rivals4.jpg
    289015-rivals4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 552
   / Old Rivals - Typical vs. Non-Typical #3  
On the right I think is a JD R later version,perhaps a 870 circa 1954. The JD 630 evolved from a JD G, the step up from a JD A The R/870 was the biggest JD made and had a "pony"gas engine ~4-5 hp associated with that big side mounted flywheel to start the diesel 2 cylinder engine. I would guess it was ~85- 90 hp. I remember a local custom operator near Logansport IN pulling a two row corn silage chopper at a pretty good clip and those 2 cylinders would shake your guts when it was pulling a loaded wagon uphill as we chased it with an empty wagon. It was replaced by the 6 cylinder lineage of the JD 4010/4020 and higher. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Old Rivals - Typical vs. Non-Typical #4  
I finally got some of this years hay and the farmer I always go to had all his machines out working including a very mint looking narrow front JD 630. I made a comment about it because I had never seen it before I think it might be one of his few gas machines. It really looked sweet. I think he said it was a 50 somthing maybe 1953??

That photo reminded me bacause his son was using a JD diesel not unlike the one on the tailgate, sort of acting out the same scene.