Rear Finish Mower Old Rusty Caroni Opinions Please

/ Old Rusty Caroni Opinions Please #1  

Pechan71

Tractor
LS G3038H
Hey all,

I have been in the market for a rear finish mower for my LS G3038, saving up to buy a Caroni 6 foot estate mower, and looking thru the classifieds to see if I can snag one used. I found one very close to me which is rare out here in NJ, I want to get your opinions before closing the deal.

It is an old (no idea how old) rusty, side discharge (I would prefer rear discharge) Caroni 6 footer, which the seller bought at auction but "never got to use because he blew a hole in the side of his Allis engine." He says everything moves freely when turned, so he imagines it will be ok, but can not guarantee. He will deliver for $450, a hard to pass-up price. At this price, would you all take a chance on it? What is the worst likely case scenario? First tractor, first experience with this type of mower and how much repairs could be....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

/ Old Rusty Caroni Opinions Please #2  
If you are handy with repairs, I'd take a. Hand but not for $450-more like $200. I bought a 5' First Choice RFM 6 years ago for $500, but I watched the guy mow with it. It was rusty and missing a few nuts and bolts, but I have used it ever since. I did have to replace a spindle and a wheel this year.

Will

/ Old Rusty Caroni Opinions Please
Wow, $200? Searching on craigslist for a year, I don't even see old rusty box blades and bent blades come up for near that low. But you're not that far from me either. Any other opinions? I'm second guessing the price now...