Buying Advice Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor?

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #51  
I sure like my treadle pedal just fine. I'm sure I'd like the two pedal design just fine too. Don't rule out the Kubotas just for that.

You know now that I own a Kubota I think that the side by side would be better/more natural. Let me give you one reason why.

I have been clearing lots of brush (oh I have a Kubota BX 25D, with the land pride grapple). You rip out brush one way or the other, you have a pile then you grab with the grapple and carry it off to the burn pile. In this brush are poison ivy, HUGE F-ing grape vines (but have no grapes, think Tarzan here...and yes I have swung from them) wild rose bushes, little trees...bla bla bla. Well when you grab a mouth full with the grapple sometimes when you pick it up bits hang over....well you are going to run over all this stuff if you go forward, so you drive backward all the way to the burn pile. Pushing down while driving backward is not the most natural thing to do and actually hurts my knee.

I really think the side by side is the better way to go. (I guess I should put this in my ongoing Kubota review thread)

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #52  
You know now that I own a Kubota I think that the side by side would be better/more natural. Let me give you one reason why.

I have been clearing lots of brush (oh I have a Kubota BX 25D, with the land pride grapple). You rip out brush one way or the other, you have a pile then you grab with the grapple and carry it off to the burn pile. In this brush are poison ivy, HUGE F-ing grape vines (but have no grapes, think Tarzan here...and yes I have swung from them) wild rose bushes, little trees...bla bla bla. Well when you grab a mouth full with the grapple sometimes when you pick it up bits hang over....well you are going to run over all this stuff if you go forward, so you drive backward all the way to the burn pile. Pushing down while driving backward is not the most natural thing to do and actually hurts my knee.

I really think the side by side is the better way to go. (I guess I should put this in my ongoing Kubota review thread)

I like either one. I have used the treadle pedal on my old New Holland, and of course my last Kubota, and my new Kioti has the 2 pedal system, as do most other brands now except Kubota. I like them both. But my knees still work pretty well thanks to Chondroiten with MSM 1500mg. I seem to be one of the about 30% of people that it actually helps. Most people it does not work for. You should give it a try if you haven't already. I have had a tremendous improvement since starting it about 5 years ago. It takes about a month to notice results. I have stopped taking it a couple to times to see if the results where psychosomatic but the stiffness returns and eases when I resume treatment. My doctor says "keep on taking it". Most people seem to think the side by side is preferred, but I honestly like them both.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #53  
I prefer the twin pedal set up on my equipment primarily because it makes it easy to change between the mower and tractors since all are laid out the same. The guys with the treadle pedal on all of their equipment would be in a similar situation. What I don't like is the cheesy reverse on my L130 mower, that alone made me wan't an upgrade in mowers.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #54  
I prefer the twin pedal set up on my equipment primarily because it makes it easy to change between the mower and tractors since all are laid out the same. The guys with the treadle pedal on all of their equipment would be in a similar situation. What I don't like is the cheesy reverse on my L130 mower, that alone made me wan't an upgrade in mowers.

Yea we have that same mower, my wife will hook her foot under the forward peddle and pull it back to her.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #55  
The treadle pedal is definitely enough to make me steer clear of a machine.

If you have any concerns like I do with Knee problems or even if you are tall I suggest you test out a treadle pedal machine for an extended time frame before actually considering one. I did and came to the conclusion that if I purchased one the pedal would need to be removed and a dual pedal set up would need to be fabricated or the machine would be worthless to me.

Last weekend I ran my neighbors Kabota for an hour while he tested my Kioti and that 1 hour time frame had me hurting. Decision confirmed and knowing that I would recommend and have recommended that anyone I know who is tall or has any Knee or back problems to steer clear of them. For me the folks in that category is just about everyone I know who wants , needs or is looking to sell and buy a new tractor.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #56  
I've got both kinds. I prefer the side-by-side twin pedals. But I have no problem using the treadle on my Kubota.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #57  
I have both kinds. Like the treadle Kubota, survive the twin pedal JD without any real problem except getting stuck in the chest with branches because I can't work the twin pedal as quickly. Wouldn't be a make or break item. JD had direct injection before Kubota and after being surprised how much my Kubota L5640 could suck down under max load I checked Rhine fuel consumption specs and found the Deere would have whupped the Kubota. Still I rarely see CUT drivers run hard enough to use much fuel. People brag about less than 1 gallon per hour fuel usage. Go to the manufacturer's numbers and they're running about 25% power. 7' tiller sounds large for the size tractor you want. In our soil my 7' King Kutter is all my L5740 can handle but our soil sucks and in SW MO you are probably talking cotton land type soil that almost tills itself.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #58  
To the original question,

The greatest advantages to a more modern CUT over an older chore tractor for me would be the slower ground speed, and the live pto on most of todays' equipment.

The commenly fitted loader ain't a bad deal either!

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #59  
I have both kinds. Like the treadle Kubota, survive the twin pedal JD without any real problem except getting stuck in the chest with branches because I can't work the twin pedal as quickly. Wouldn't be a make or break item. JD had direct injection before Kubota and after being surprised how much my Kubota L5640 could suck down under max load I checked Rhine fuel consumption specs and found the Deere would have whupped the Kubota. Still I rarely see CUT drivers run hard enough to use much fuel. People brag about less than 1 gallon per hour fuel usage. Go to the manufacturer's numbers and they're running about 25% power. 7' tiller sounds large for the size tractor you want. In our soil my 7' King Kutter is all my L5740 can handle but our soil sucks and in SW MO you are probably talking cotton land type soil that almost tills itself.

I'm one of those that believes that most modern tractors will use about the same amount of fuel to accomplish a given task, regardless of the size of the tractor. My little BX23 just sips diesel. My DK50SE is a little thirstier but it will get the job done faster. So at the end of the job, I think the total fuel consumed would be about the same.

/ Old utility tractor vs. newer compact tractor? #60  
Most modern tractors will use about the same amount of fuel to accomplish a given task, regardless of the size of the tractor.

My little BX23 just sips diesel. My DK50SE is a little thirstier but it will get the job done faster.

Total fuel consumed per work accomplished would be the same.

I experienced the same proportional diesel consumption with my prior Kubota B3300SU viz Kubota L3560.

Last edited: