Old Victor Torch

/ Old Victor Torch #11  
Check O-rings before lighting. Only You can prevent wild fires.

/ Old Victor Torch #12  
I wouldn’t buy a new set, Pat. I think you would be farther ahead even spending the same amount of money to refurbish the old Victor you have.

I have had two torches rebuilt professionally and in addition to being deemed safe they look like new after they bead blast them.

This is a 30 year old one refurbished about five years ago. It’s branded Air Liquide but I think it is probably made by Concoa Phillips.

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

You may as well buy a new set of hoses now too. They are very inexpensive.

Last edited:
   / Old Victor Torch #13  
This little book was recommended to me perhaps by someone here.

Adjustments.jpg

I am happy to pass along the recommendation. It should be available on eBay or amazon.

/ Old Victor Torch #14  
Someone on Welding Web posted this pic today. It’s a fixture for holding a Victor regulator when dismantling. IMG_1020.jpg
It is mounted on a piece of angle iron so that it can be held in a vise.

/ Old Victor Torch #15  
Thanks for the advice. I used a torch for welding and flame cutting for several years in my Dad's shop before I went into the service. If this torch had been in continuous use I would have no problem, but setting for decades introduces some unknowns. Probably best to have the setup checked out by the LWS folks. Will call around tomorrow to see what the possibilities are.

I see that new setups are not really too costly, but I would prefer to use his old equipment if I can.

New Victor sets are inferior to the old victor and new off brands are inferior to new Victor. Don't be fooled when seller's ad says"Victor compatiable". That only mean's Victor tips fit their torch. What they fail to tell you is Victor nor any other brand rebuild kits will fit their torch and regulators. Have the old Victor checked and repaired if needed.

/ Old Victor Torch
This little book was recommended to me perhaps by someone here.

View attachment 646809

I am happy to pass along the recommendation. It should be available on eBay or amazon.

Yes ordered it thx for the lead. I've never read a word about using a torch, just going with what my Dad taught me.

/ Old Victor Torch
Pat, when you open the valves, make sure both regulators are backed off (stem of the regulator loose) then crack the valve(s) SLOWLY, til you see the first pressure gauge show pressure (if it will) - if you hear any hissing at this point, you have problems. Close the tank valves and check things out further.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT, WITH NEW OR OLD O/A GEAR, HAVE ANY BODY PARTS IN LINE WITH THE REGULATOR ADJUSTERS WHEN OPENING TANK VALVES - if the diaphragm in a regulator is stress cracked, the sudden surge of pressure can rupture and the regulators stem (tee handle or knob) can blow out of the case like a gun shot.

This is first-hand knowledge; my life so far has lasted 55 years LONGER than it would've if I'd been standing a couple inches to the right of where I was. Our resident "weldor" was shade tree trained, didn't know SQUAT about the dangers involved; new Oxy tank, he had NEVER backed off regulators - when he cracked open the tank valve, the regulator stem missed my head by 2-3 inches, went through 3 plywood walls and bounced off a parked car outside.

After I "cleaned out my shorts", I drove to the LWS and asked if they had any safety pamphlets on O/A - they did, gave me one, and after I read it I knew a LOT more about the subject than our resident moron. From that day on I left the shop when he walked toward the O/A tanks. (He had already poo-poohed my info, already "knew it all" )

If you have ANY doubts about this, read this
Fuel your safety knowledge

If you're STILL not sure, I would find someone who actually KNOWS about O/A - I would STILL read the above link FIRST; it may help you know if your "expert" actually IS one... Steve

Steve thanks. What you describe as the safe way to do it is what I was taught too.

/ Old Victor Torch
New Victor sets are inferior to the old victor and new off brands are inferior to new Victor. Don't be fooled when seller's ad says"Victor compatiable". That only mean's Victor tips fit their torch. What they fail to tell you is Victor nor any other brand rebuild kits will fit their torch and regulators. Have the old Victor checked and repaired if needed.

Yep. Over the weekend I spent some time checking out Victor, Harris and Smith. Cannot even really tell who makes them, let alone where. It seems that maybe some of the Miller torch sets are made in the US but that is not clear on their website. Usually when a company makes stuff in the US they are eager to let you know.

/ Old Victor Torch
Someone on Welding Web posted this pic today. It’s a fixture for holding a Victor regulator when dismantling. View attachment 646810
It is mounted on a piece of angle iron so that it can be held in a vise.

Maybe I need to get back on WW, I got tired of it. That is a nice gizmo. I am sifting through utube stuff now to see what is involved in refurbishing a torch.

/ Old Victor Torch #20