On line source for steel

/ On line source for steel #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Does anyone know a company that sells steel on-line? I'm looking for a couple of pieces of T1 plate 2"x 48". Nobody local sells it and they usually only order stock sheets.

/ On line source for steel #2  
   / On line source for steel #3  
T1 is a specialty grade that I'm not sure I've seen at the online stores. One thing to be aware of is tat you will pay out the nose for shipping because it is all freight and of course extremely heavy. You will need you own way to get the metal off of the flatbed truck too.

/ On line source for steel #5  
   / On line source for steel
I did look at Discount Steel but was hoping to find other stores to compare prices. The price of the steel isn't an issue but the cost of cutting it. Discount steel charges more to make one cut (since it's plasma). Weight shouldn't be an issue, it's only 28 lbs, well within UPS/ FedEx limits. Discount steel is not set up for small pieces of steel when it comes to shipping (or they have a handling charge per piece). 1 48" x 4" piece cost $25 to ship FedEx but 2 48" x 2" pieces cost over $40.

I haven't decided if 3/8" would be thick enough or for the extra cost just get 1/2". Or if I should save the extra $25 and cut a 4" piece in half myself plus saving the extra shipping costs (about $15). Or do I just go with something more common that I can get locally and just replace it when it wears out.

/ On line source for steel #8  
Or do I just go with something more common that I can get locally and just replace it when it wears out.

what are you using it for? obviously since you are looking for ar plate then you have a reason for it. i've seen this used in the steel shot blasting facility where i used to work, but since you are talking about stripping it to 2" wide then i'm thinking you are using it as skids that something slides on?

i don't know your intended use, but i think based on scarce availability in the boonies (i spent some time in vermont - former vtc graduate) i'd go with plain hot rolled a36 and attach it in a manner that could be easily replaced if you find that it is wearing prematurely. heck, 8' of 2x1/2 flat should only cost $20-$30 total over the counter.

/ On line source for steel #9  
Al is this part of a "swinging target array" or something ?

James K0UA

/ On line source for steel
It's skids for a bottom of a homemade drag. I'm guessing the original ones are just generic steel that was bought over the counter. It's not mine so I can't say for sure but I think it's between 5 to 7 years worth of use on the skids. I would like to do a fix and forget for forever.