On the way in or out?

/ On the way in or out? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I'm a 4 month veteran /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif owner of a grey market tractor, and I'd like some discussion from everyone what the future of Grey market tractors might be.

I know that Kubota has succeeded in getting their tractors banned from sale in the U.S. Do you think that other manufacturers will accomplish the same thing? Will parts get easier or harder to find?

Basically are Grey market tractors on the way in or on the way out?

/ On the way in or out? #2  
The only gray market tractors I have any experience with is Yanmar, and I see them on the way up. The parts and service aspect has continued to grow since I first learned of them in 1999. At that time, I held off for fear I would be stuck with a bastard piece of equipment. Now, I have no problems getting over-night parts delivery. Hoye is expanding their parts warehouse now.

Bruce

/ On the way in or out? #3  
Occasionally I hear rumblings of Yanmar selling direct in the states. Usually associated with rumblings of Yanmar and Deere seperating. What would this do to the grey market?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ On the way in or out?
It's hard to know whether to wish for these companies to come into the states or to stay out. If they come in I fear we will get an organized opposition to grey markets like what happened with Kubotas. On the other hand, with an official presence in the states parts, service, etc. might be more available depending on the attitudes of the individual dealers.

/ On the way in or out? #5  
Parts are readily available for most Yanmars, with more becoming available as time goes on. You will never see the same availability for the other brands (Iseki, Shibaura, etc) because of the limited number out there versus the Yanmar. Some aftermarket parts take up to a $10,000 investment to get the first run made, and that's tough to recoup when there are a couple hundred of a given model in the market as opposed to a thousand or more. The Yanmars will continue to sell well because of the development of aftermarket parts, OSHA approved ROPS for most models, etc. This will further drive the parts development.

/ On the way in or out? #6  
I have a grey Mitsu.,so far I have not needed many parts but I have no problel getting what I need.

/ On the way in or out?
Are people actually making aftermarket parts in the US?

I had thought that all of the parts for these tractors had to be imported or salvaged.

/ On the way in or out? #8  
No. I said nothing about made in the US, just that there are plenty of aftermarket parts, and more on the way. It is capitalism at work...there's adequate money to be made due to the volume of grey Yanmars sold, and some entrepreneur will usually take that opportunity. There is of course risk, as it takes significant investments to get the parts manufacture started. No one in their right mind will incur this risk if there isn't adequate potential to recover the investment and make a profit. The various models of brands other than Yanmar are not here in sufficient numbers to warrant that risk to anyone so far....and I don't see that changing. So while a person may get generic parts like filters, belts, etc, and maybe even match up a starter or such with a model that brand sold in the US at some point in the past, wait until they need rings, a radiator, pistons, cylinder sleeves, head gasket, etc. Many of the grey Yanmars can be compeltely rebuilt from aftermarket parts specifically made for that model. Eventually ALL machines need parts.

/ On the way in or out? #9  
Wayne, Do we thank Mr. W. for changing the name of these tractors & thinking ahead to get the patent on this name to make it possible for these tractors to continue comming to the U.S. ? Did he not out think the folks at yanmar ? Not trying to start anything, just wondering. Who do we think for all the yanmars here in the U.S.?

/ On the way in or out? #10  
My supplier has been exporting yanmars to the US. since the 1980s waaay before Mr. W even knew that a gray market tractor existed.