Ondura roofing

/ Ondura roofing #11  
I looked at it before and just could not see the advantage. Reading here convinces me I'm glad I avoided it.:2cents:

/ Ondura roofing #12  
Back in the late 70's we installed Onduline roofing on our huge barn. The colors faded or flaked off very quickly. We sold that farm in 1991 and the roof was still going strong. The present owner is a golf course/country club. They still have the same roof, and it has never been painted since. This is 2012. That makes some 30+ years. This is in Lancaster NY which is just East of Buffalo, and is one of the heavy 'lake effect' snow locations in this country.

Ondura is virtually the same product (possibly the same I don't know for sure) We did use their proprietary Onduline fasteners. Most of the pitches are 6/12 or greater. The old ceder shingle roof had lasted nearly 40 years, but had to be removed. The Onduline was fastened directly to the original wooden planking which was in excellent condition.

The only part of the barn that did not receive the Onduline roofing was the barrel roof section which is not conducive to anything but roll roofing.

If anyone would like a photo of the barn, please email me privately

While I'm sure steel roofing will last longer, the Onduline was and is a good second, and a whole lot less expensive. :thumbsup:

/ Ondura roofing #13  
I had the early version on my porch. It was the next great thing when I installed it. I was not impressed with it from the start. It is soft when warm and you cannot walk on it, and very brittle when cold. The paint faded very quickly and looked terrible. Snow and ice came down from the main house and craked it badly. Absolutely no help from the company. If I recall rightly the warranty papers stated that the warranty was void if the roofing was exposed to the elements!! I replaced it with metal and will never use or recommend it.

/ Ondura roofing #14  
I had it on my barn for about 5 years. I was very happy with it. No leaks,no fading. When I expanded the barn I did replace it with a metal roof. The expansion was much bigger than the original barn and a metal roof was cheaper.

You have to be very careful walking on it. I have put my foot through it.

I was use it again for the right project

/ Ondura roofing #15  
This appears to be the old Onduline roofing that reincarnated after the Onduline class-action and company solvency issues.
Regarding Onduline, I have nothing good to say about it. I put it on a 40' x 60' barn in 1993 and it started to degrade around the nail holes and building edges the first year. If it got hot in the summer it softened and distorted and that's with the hot summers of the cool climate of Maine. I couldn't imagine the heat of the South. Within four or five years I replaced it with metal and used the old Onduline to put under hay bales or stored equipment. What a waste of time and money and aggravation to replace.
I don't know this Ondura product but would make 100% sure it is nothing like the old Onduline product.

/ Ondura roofing #16  
I used Ondura on two ocean front properties 10 years ago. I installed it over tar paper or roofing felt and tacking strips. The first storm came up the coast and pealed back some panels. I sent pictures to the manufacturer and the advised me that in harsh applications, I needed to double nail it. I went back and read the instructions and, sure enough it said double nail it.
Since then there have been many storms on the coast of Carolina and every time I pick up my neighbors asphalt shingles. Three years ago, I had the nails checked and the nail heads caulked. My buildings sway in the wind so it does not surprise me that the nails need checked from time to time. I have also noticed that sea gaul poop in addition to the sun ruins the coating on metal roofs. There have been several replaced since I had my Ondura installed.
I am thinking that the next time I have someone up there, I will have it painted. Really, not bad for a decade of abuse. Easy stuff to repair as well.
I will be installing it on my roof in Maryland soon. Follow the instructions to a t.