one and only one

/ one and only one #21  
I have three Stihls: 011, 024, and 046Magnum and I purchased them in that order.
If I had to pick one, I'd take the 046 every time. I use the smaller saws because I have them, not because I need them.

As far as bar length, I tend to use longer bars than most people, because I don't like to stoop over. I have a 18" on the 011, a 24" on the 024, and a 28" on the 046.

/ one and only one #22  
I have a 20 year old Stihl 036 runs like a champ. No need to replace it yet.

/ one and only one #23  
My Stihl 460 is one nice machine that I would not want to give up. However the old tried and true 026 had been running for over 20 years and I would not want to see it go either. Don't make me decide!

/ one and only one #24  
I checked the archives for this question but could only go through two pages before I lost patience. This is a hard question for all of us chainsaw junkies. I have owned and sold a bunch of chainsaws stemming from my professional days and then from my chainsaw addiction days but I asked myself this question the other day when I was using my old and trusty 257 with a MM. For all of us guys cutting 5 to 10 cords per year: If you had to own just one chainsaw and it had to do all your duties from felling,bucking, limb removal etc, what would it be.?Let me start out by saying this is an impossible question for me to answer. No one felling and cutting should own just one chainsaw even for safeties sake where one chainsaw gets stuck and needs to be rescued with another. Lets just say the chainsaw you would always grab first and use for the entire harvesting process whether you were taking down and cutting up an 8"- 24" tree to limbing these babies and slicing rounds from them.

With c.35yr+ professional rural chainsaw use & logging experience, like most I have favourite saws & if it had to be one saw only I'd go fo a McCulloch PM850 or at a pinch if I was younger/fitter a PM1000.
I actually learnt on, used & earnt many $$$$'s from a Mc PM850 as my only saw when I kicked off earning an extra $ from timber at 15 on my own, everything from felling, bucking, splitting posts & fencing - an unbelieveable saw in their day & the PM850/1000's still give any modern saw a run for their money.
Unfortunately the US McCulloch PM850's/1000's became extinct in the early 80's, but then I'm not quite as fit as in the late 70's/80's to operate a c.10kgs/20lbs saw all day long...but I still have kept a few in running order for special occassions like the PM1000 as below..........This Mc & I continue to win a few "bets/challenges" against those who naively place their faith/back with $'s their modern gear in matched timber cutting races - the Mc cuts faster, longer (with a much larger fuel & oil tank), louder & with arguably more power/cc than any equal cc production saw on the market for the past 15 or so yrs....& if you want to ramp up the hp considerably just add a power pipe...

Attachments

• PM1000a.JPG
    PM1000a.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 124
  • with Pipe1.JPG
    with Pipe1.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 106
  • chainsaw.gif
    chainsaw.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 191
   / one and only one #25  
Im loving my 562xp. It just seems to get better and better with each tank. I know I need better chain, so a RSC is in my future. I cant wait to see how well it performs with decent chain. Oh and maybe a 20" bar to save the back.

/ one and only one #26  
I've got the old 346 w/o the compression release. It simply screams but not torquey enough to bury. I'm wondering if the new 550 wouldn't fit perfectly into my "one saw" criteria. How is it no one has mentioned the Dolmar 5105? LD1 mustn't have seen this thread.

Yea, I'm a little late.

I rarely check the chainsaw forum. I usually just click "today's posts" and if Its not on the first page......

Anyway, for ME, a one saw plan would be a 7900. BTU. Until about 5 years ago, I was just a one saw guy and that was it. With a 24" bar, limbing was surprisingly easy. Lotsa reach and not much bending over.:thumbsup:

However, for someone that doesnt cut ALOT of firewood, a good all-around saw is the 5105. But for me, its just too small. Heck, thats the size of my smallest saws, the 115i and 540, and I couldnt imagine either one of them being my only saw.:confused2:

/ one and only one #27  
Shoot I guess if I had to pick one which is hard but it would be a Husky 346XP. Although having it hang off my hip climbing up and down a tree would be a little tougher as I get older. My top handle Husky with a 16" bar by far has the most hours since it is light and strong for limbs or bucking.

/ one and only one #28  
I like the Husqvarna 240e but wouldn't mind having a Poulan PP3516AVX but on second thought the Solo 636 is a fine cutter just like the John Deere CS36LE but you can't go wrong with Stihl MS 210 C-BE or the McCulloch MCC1635AK okay the Echo CS-370 would be my first choice I think maybe.. Lou

/ one and only one #29  
Well, I only have one saw!! I sold my 445xtorq to buy a 550XP, which I MMed before I ever fired it up. It cuts for hours on a tank, (well, except in BIG stuff like 30" cherry!) so I'm not getting it broken in as fast as I'd like. The difference between the 445 and the 550 is indescribable; the 550 goes at the wood like it has a killer instinct, and it the throttle response is getting almost unbelievably quick. Sometimes it revs scary-high in the cut, and cutting wood is twice as quick, and three times as fun as it used to be. I'm using the saw every day, and my wood pile is growing big!! I don't have a lot of big trees to take down, so the 18" bar works fine for me. The balance is perfect. And in a pinch I can easily get through 20"+ wood.

I would really love to get a 562/372/576...I mean REALLY. But the $$ just isn't there. I'm waiting for the saw to break in fully to see whether I should have it ported and polished with the aim of having mid-60cc performance in a 10 pound package....because it looks like I'm just gonna have this one saw. (that thought makes me wonder what kind of luck people have been having w/ported 550s.)

/ one and only one #30  
Another thumbs up to the 562xp, as it breaks in and you get used to it you don't even realize what a performer it is till it runs out of fuel and you grab your old saw to finish up and think boy I could chew through this faster !