One Arm Loader on a 961

/ One Arm Loader on a 961 #1  

TyredIron

Tractor
Ford 961
Hi, from a newbie.

I've posted a bit of an intro in the New Member Introductions forum.
Every day seems to present a new project; today I'm hanging a one arm loader on my 961.

Loader went on ok; it's attached at the two obvious points. Seems a little wobbly; looks like it would be sturdier with a tie from the bottom of the loader to the underside of the tractor. Should there be another mounting bracket?

I'm controlling (make that "trying to control") the loader with a Selectrol Valve. It's just a single cylinder loader, bucket is gravity controlled, with a trip lever. The Selectrol Valve seems a little sticky, and fussy, and leaky. I've taken it off, and found the little detent ball bearing, and spring, a little rusty and seized. I'm cleaning it up and trying to hone the main bore out some. Seems that even if I get it working properly, it's going to be awkward, at best.

I see Steiner (and others) sell a hydraulic valve adapter (Steiner FD5457), than would bolt on, and give me a 3/8 NPT out and in.
Looks like I could sandwich this between the Selectrol and the tractor (I don't have, or can't find, the orig cover plate).
I think this would allow me to mount a conventional hydraulic control for the loader, and ignore the Selectrol.
Is this the way to go?
Will this allow me to plumb in a rear remote, as well?

Thanks

/ One Arm Loader on a 961 #2  
yes.. a PB plate can let you have a cheaper valve bank that is open center.. or you can use a hyd top cover remote....

you really need to get that bottom bracket on before you bust the trans bracket.. and they are hard to find...

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a6407.jpg

see the left and lower bracket. left is 3/8" flat.. lower is 1/4"

big bracket bolts to bas of loader at a special mounting point, and then will lie up with a hole in the trans.. there are 2 holes down there.. the lil 1/4 bracket then goes over the big bracket and is bolted thru.. there is a lil bushing to make up the spac.. or a stack of washers could be used.. this way 2 bolts take the load fromt he loader due to the lil 1/4" tie plate spreading the force over 2 bolts down there..

soudnguy

soundguy

/ One Arm Loader on a 961
Hi Soundguy;

Hmmm, those bits looked familiar.
I went digging and found some the same.
I guess the piece with the three holes is for a non row crop tractor?
My big piece (with 2 holes) has been modified by a previous owner: holes are now 11 1/2 inches apart. With the loader on my tractor, and bucket sitting on the ground, it looks like the holes should be 10 3/4 inches apart. Sound right?
I'll make up a new piece, or just unmodify the one I have.

Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_0013.JPG
    SAM_0013.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 222
  • SAM_0015.JPG
    SAM_0015.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 290
  • SAM_0016.JPG
    SAM_0016.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 311
   / One Arm Loader on a 961 #4  
the thick bracket that tapers is the front bracket for a non row crop. the modified bracket i can only guess would be for mounting a 4 cyl loader ( 5.5" box ) onto a 3 cyl tractor ( 3" box ), as the geometry is different. otherwis ethe trans hip bracket and lower strap brackets should be the same for all 55-64 4 cyl tractors.. and of course, the front hanger bracket is different for rowcrop tractors

Hi Soundguy;

I got a new piece (to replace the modified piece) fabricated, and installed it. Seems to be good and stable.

I tried breaking into a pile of well settled topsoil; worked ok. I'll have to practice with it a bit. I've just retired from construction/earth moving. The last excavator I was working with (I wasn't the operator, just a supervisor) had a 7 1/2 yard bucket. This one's going to take some getting used to.

There's a "self levelling" (extra cylinder for the bucket) one-arm for sale not too far from here; I'll check it out too. I do have another one like the one I have, and some extra bits.

I'm heading out in the morning to load some aged horse manure. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes me to load a little 3500# landscape trailer.

Thanks.

/ One Arm Loader on a 961 #6  
the 'self leveling one is actually the hyd model of the laoder.. uses parallel scisor linkage on the bucket, and the cyl sets back on the upright and uses a long bar to xfer the power over to the bucket via a rocker on the top of the upright.

I love them 1-arm loaders.. tend to collect them.

wish I lived closer to ya..

here's a pic of my 660 with the hyd loader.

soundguy

Attachments

• a38056.jpg
    a38056.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 477
I've been using the loader a bit.
Drove the tractor, trailer behind, to the manure pile.
Loader worked great, pretty good lifting power.
Had the trailer loaded in short order.
Too bad the pile is 7 miles away.

I was hoping (dreaming) that I could "dump" the trailer with the loader: lift the tongue high enough. No such luck. I unloaded the rear of the trailer with the loader, and hand shovelled the rest off.

I guess I'll have to pull that old Ferguson dump trailer out of the weeds, and see if I can use it. But I don't think it will hold as much as my landscape trailer.

/ One Arm Loader on a 961 #8  
try dumping from front of trailer box frame, not the tounge.

soundguy

Soundguy;

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had it attached at the front of the box. It would lift up and tilt on the axle fine, but when the rear of the box hit the ground, it would not lift any higher. It wouldn't lift the axle off the ground. I guess I could have taken the bucket off.

The old TL-W should be able to lift it. I'll have to see if I can free it up...I let some water get in the exhaust!!!

I'll attach a pic.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0020.JPG
    SAM_0020.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 393
   / One Arm Loader on a 961 #10  
must be a real heavy trailer.

soundguy